Chapter 5

After an hour or so of waiting at the top of the hill at the edge of town, Jazz started the engine and headed into town.

"Do you want to drive?  Test out your dope driving skills?"  Jazz asked.  "I could tell ya a little more about myself.  And get you interested."

"Why do I feel like you're hitting on me?"  I asked with a smile.

"What?  Me?  Hit on you?  Nooo..."  He was guilty.

I chuckled and took hold of the steering wheel.  I pressed down on the gas pedal and turned to the left, driving onto the road and getting up to speed.  I turned onto the road that takes me to Miles' house.  I wanted to make sure everyone I know was okay.

"No need to worry, chap.  I do a nightly check on everyone that's important to you and your family," Jazz said.  I stayed quiet for a little bit.  "You don't seem to talk to much.  Tell ya what?  You owe me a ride and I'll drive you home tonight?"

I smiled slightly.  "That sounds great," I said.

Jazz turned the radio to a soft pop station.  I started to drift to sleep when Jazz arrived at the house.  "Miss Witwicky, your house awaits."

"Thanks, Jazz," I said.  "For everything today.  I probably wouldn't be here without you."

"Aww, don't think like that, lil' one.  You're almost as brave as me," he said.  "Keep that bravery and you'll die in vain."

I nodded.  "Thanks again, Jazz."

"Now get out before I starting leaking.  I'm not that kind of car," Jazz said.

I chuckled and I got out of the car, taking my keys and pocketing them.  I saw Sam-- Bumblebee in the driveway as well.  I walked up the doorstep and almost tripped.  I blushed.  Jazz must have seen that.  I opened the front door.

"Chick?  Is that you?"  I heard my mother call from the living room.

"Yeah, it's me," I said.  I locked the door behind me and took off my shoes.  "I'm going to bed.  Night."

"Goodnight, sweetheart," my mom said.

I started towards the stairs when I was in a tight embrace.  I inhaled deeply.  It was Sam's warm embrace.  I gribbed the back of his tee shirt in my hands.  I hugged him tightly.

"Come on.  Let's get you upstairs," Sam said.  He could tell I was going to fall asleep right in his arms, so he picked me up and carried me upstairs to my room.  He put me down in my bed and covered me with my blankets.

"Sam," I said.  I held out my hand for him to take it.  He did.  "Thank you."

"For what?"  He asked.  He squeezed my hand for reassurance.

"For being my older brother," I said.

I could see a faint smile.  He was happy, I was happy.  But we're getting hunted by decepticons, what Jazz calls them.

"Have a good sleep, Chick.  We'll talk about what all happened tomorrow," he said.

I nodded.  "Night..."  My words slurred.

I didn't notice Sam walk out because I was unconscious in a heartbeat.

***

I woke up to Sam shaking my arm.  I opened my eyes.  I looked at the clock.  I was only asleep for half an hour.  It was only 9:45.  "What?"  I asked.

"I went to check on my car and it opened the door.  I think it wants us to go with it," Sam said.

"Yeah, calling it an 'it' isn't cool.  His name's Bumblebee," I said.  I swung out of bed.  I was wearing my dirty clothes from yesterday.  I pulled on a different shirt and put on my black converses.  I pulled my thick light brown hair into a messy bun and the bottom of my hair line.