Chapter 4

Sam and I spent the rest of the night in the police department.  We were sent to the jail cell.  Sam gave me the bed as he tried to sleep on the floor, though I don't think we got enough sleep last night.

The police called our parents and we were sent to the main floor.  We talked to the police while our mom and dad were there.

"Look, I can't be any clearer than how crystal clear I am being.  It just stood up," Sam said.  He was sitting in a chair beside me.

The police was in front of us.  "It just stood up?"  He asked for confirmation.  "Wow.  That's really neat.  Okay, chiefie."  He picked up two bottles and two Kleenex.  "Time to fill her up.  And no drippy-drippy."

I looked at Sam.  I was too embarrassed in myself to even hack up to courage to look at our dad.

Sam took both bottles and kleenex, handed one of each to me and looked back up at the police man in front of us.

"What are you rolling?"  He asked.  "Whippets?  Goodballs?  A little wowie sauce with the boys?"

"Are you asking if we're high?"  I asked.

"Yes, yes I am," he replied sternly.

"No, we're not on any drugs," Sam said.

The police man held up a bottle of pills in an orange container.  "What's these?  Found it in your pocket.  'Mojo.'  Is that what the kids are doing now?  Little bit of Mojo?"

"That name is for my dog," I said.

"Those are my dog's pain pills," Sam clarified.

Dad chimed in too.  "You know, a Chihuahua.  A little..."

The police man rubbed his forehead.  Sam looked at the man's gun, then back to him.  The police man moved his coat back a bit just so we could see his gun.  "What was that?"  He asked.

"Hmm?"  Sam asked.

"You eyeballing my piece, 50 Cent?"  The cop asked.

Sam looked scared.  He sat back in his chair, hoping it would go further back.

The police man stood up, interrogating Sam.  "You wanna go?  Make something happen.  Do it.  Cause I promise you, I will bust you up."

"Are you on drugs?"  Sam asked.

"Okay, we get it," I said loudly.

"Do you?"  He asked.  He turned to me.  "Do you?"

I didn't say anything more.

"You can go," the police man said to our dad.

We stood up and quickly left the police station.

When we got home, Sam and I went straight to bed.

***

The next morning, Sam stayed in bed until ten o'clock.  I was in the kitchen most of the morning watching the news.

Sam came through the doorway.  "Morning, Mo," he greeted our dog.

"It's almost like you give the dog more attention than you give me," I said to Sam.

"Mojo.  Mojo," Sam chanted.  He opened the refrigerator and swung sweater over his shoulder.

Mojo got up on the window sil and barked once.

"Stop with the barking, Mojo.  It's too early.  Please?"  Sam asked.  He had a bowl of something in his hands and placed it beside me on the island in the middle of the kitchen.