Chapter 9

I wiped my tears away.  I let Epps drag me out of the way from Megatron and the torn apart Jazz.  Epps looked at Lennox.  Lennox looked at me.  He touched my shoulder.  "Chick," he said.  "I know how much Jazz meant to you.  But you need to focus."

"I can't.  I can't..." I sobbed.  I grabbed his arm that was still on my shoulder.  I looked at the ground as my tears flew to the ground.

"Chick.  We need to fight Megatron.  Get ready," he said.  "Epps, help her."

Robert nodded.  He touched my shoulder and handed me his big gun.  "I know you're better with the big ones."

I tried to go for a smile, but it wouldn't come.  My hand gun was still in my pocket.  I had my team here.  They would help me through.

"What's going on?"  Lennox asked.

One of my teammates with binoculars answered him.  "Sir!  That tank thing's getting back up."

Lennox walked up beside him.  "Oh, these things just don't die," he said.

"You need to rip their heads off.  They're sort of like..."  I started, trying to get back to my normal self.

"Vampires...?"  Epps suggested.

"Yes!  Vampires!  They need their heads chopped off," I said.  "Thank you, Epps."

"Anytime, sis," he said.

Lennox looked back at us.  He looked above.  "Oh, we're so dead," he said.  "Let's move!"  He ran out towards the main street.  He turned left where Sam and Mikaela were.  "Sam!  Where's the Cube?"

I followed and I looked at Mikaela.  She stopped and glanced at me, doing a double take.  "Are you okay?"  She asked.

I shrugged.  "I..."  I started.  "Jazz..."

She looked at my face covered in dirt and stains.  She hugged me in her arms.  "I'm so sorry," she said.

I didn't say anything.  I just embraced the hug and listened to Lennox.

"There," Sam said, pointing to the back of the truck he was on.

"Okay," Lennox said.  He bypassed Sam and Mikaela.

Mikaela pulled away and helped Sam with Bumblebee again.

"Epps, get those Black Hawks here!"  Lennox yelled to his first lieutenant.  He stopped at the next alley beside us.  "That building."  He came running back and set his gun on the truck.  "Okay."

"What?"  Sam asked.  I leaned on the truck, waiting for my captain's orders.

"All right, I can't leave my guys back there, so here, take this flare," Lennox said, handing him a stick.  "Okay, there's a tall white building with statues on top.  Go to the roof, set the flare."

"No," Sam replied.

"Signal the chopper and set the flare," Lennox ordered.

"No, no.  I can't do this!"  Sam said.

"Listen to me!"  Lennox grabbed his sweater and pulled him down.  "You're a soldier now!  All right?  I need you to take this Cube.  Get it into military hands while we hold them off, or a lot of people are gonna die.  Chick will go with you," Lennox said.  "I'm trusting that she'll be safe with you and you'll be safe with her."

"Lennox..."  I said.

He turned to Mikaela.  "You got to go," he said.  "You got to go."

"No, I'm not leaving," Mikaela said hurriedly.