Chapter 3

I got home at 11:30.  Half an hour later of when I was supposed to get home.  I didn't have my phone because I left it at home, thinking I wouldn't need it because I had Sam with me.  Nope.  Turns out he just dropped me on my ass and left me stranded.  So I saw Sam's car in the driveway parked beside my old Bentley and heard police sirens wailing.  They came to a stop in front of our house.  "Hands up!"  The police man yelled, gun aimed at me.  "What's your name?"

"Chick Witwicky!"  I said, my hands up.  "You have the wrong person."

"You live here?"  The police man asked me.

I nodded.  "Yeah," I said jittery.  "Can you lower the gun before you actually shoot me?"

He nodded and put his gun away.  He walked up and looked at me, pulled out a picture of me.

"Chick!"  I heard my mom yell.  She came barrelling out of the house, my dad following her.  "Where were you?"  She asked, hugging me.

"Walking," I said.  I didn't want Sam to get into trouble, but I didn't know how to avoid not getting him into trouble.

"Where?"  The police man asked me.

"None of your business," I said.  "This is family matter.  It doesn't need to involve the police."  I looked at dad.

"What?  Your mother was worrying," he said.  "Thank you officer.  We won't be needing your assistance anymore."

He nodded and he got back into his car.  He shut off the police sirens and pulled out of our driveway.  In a minute, the driver disappeared, just like the cars we bought at Bolivia's Dealership.

I watched the police car pull away, then turned to the front door.  Sam was standing inside watching my every move.  I could tell he was worried about me.

Dad opened the door and let me in, mom following me and then he walked in shutting the door.  I tried to walk past Sam and go upstairs, but he stopped me.

"Chick, look..."  He started.

"Don't.  You left me.  For a girl," I said.  "Uncool big brother move."  I tried to dodge by him again, but dad called us into the living room.  He made us sit down on the couch beside each other.

"You were both minutes late tonight," Dad said.

"Look, dad.  I'm sorry.  This was all my fault," Sam said, taking the blame for all of this.  I shook my head and leaned back into the couch.

"How was it your fault, Sam?"  Mom asked.

Sam looked at me, then looked at the ground.  "I sort of ditch Miles and Chick.  I left them on the side of the road for a girl.  I'm sorry.  To all of you.  Especially Chick.  I shouldn't have done that," Sam said, looking at me.  "Please forgive me."

I sighed.  It's hard not to forgive your own flesh and blood.  "Alright.  But you owe me," I said.

Sam nodded.  "Anything," he smiled.

"Now, you both are grounded for a week.  Understand?"  Dad asked.

Sam and I both nodded.  "Yes," I said.

"Now, go upstairs.  Go to sleep," Mom put in.

Sam and I both went upstairs.  I hugged my older brother and entered my room.  I changed from my clothes into black yoga pants and a white tank top.  I climbed into bed and threw on my blankets, turning out my light and shutting my eyes.

When I was almost asleep, I heard a frantic knocking on my door.  "Chick!  Chick, wake up!  Oh, God.  No, no, no, no, no, no, no!"  Sam screamed he ran to the front of the house, me following him.  His old Camaro was leaving the driveway.  We went on the porch.