Chapter 1: Meeting

Freya

Freya looked up at the night sky, exhaling the crisp cold air that had filled her lungs, It puffed out like smoke. Reminding herself that she could no longer do magic as she pleased or as often as she would like to, she groaned. This night was particularly tempting.
The breeze carried the scent of cut grass, baked goods and a hint of rain. This kind of night had always been a favourite to cast a spell, one that would improve her vegetable garden back home.
Freya could unhappily say, she had been magic free for a whole six months. Her self control was reinforced by the memory of finding herself as the guardian of two small demons disguised as angels. No, they weren't that bad her niece and nephew Jacob and Tillie were amazing, it was just... she was a sixty five year old witch and had never, not ever lived a magicless life. But the children... they had bought a sense of purpose back to her life. The problem was how they came to be hers. Her sister and sister's husband were gone. The pain of it still tore, her big sister gone. Moving back inside as memories assaulted.

***

"Aunt Frey" Tillie called. Freya turned her head to look into the family room, her niece and nephew were sitting patiently waiting. It was Harry Potter night for the three of them. She loved babysitting. "Coming" she carried the two peanut butter and caramel ice cream sundaes her bare feet slapping against the wood as she moved.
Pain seared her mind as a horrified scream echoed, "Run! Hide!" the treats slipped from her hands, goose bumps covered her arms, a cold sweat trickled down her spine No! time stood still in that instant, her sight blurred as tyres screeched, a gun shot rang, the screams of a woman. "Freya hide my babies" her sister Faye was yelling... pleading. Freya tried to focus on the shimmering apparition. All she could make out was a shadowy image with Faye's face, it's hand out stretched. Reaching. Glass shattered all around them. The vision that had clutched her, collided with the present as the sundae glasses shattered on her hard wood floors sending the dessert flying all over her bare feet. The cold stickiness barely registered in her mind. The frightened faces of Tillie and Jacob made her jump into action, flicking her arms out she muttered a cloaking spell for all three of them. Picking Tillie up and grabbing Jacobs hand she ran into the night. The saltiness of her tears hit her tongue, the cool evening breeze whipped at them. The message her sister had sent playing on a constant loop. Freya wouldn't stop, ever, protecting them. She did as she was asked and hid her big sisters' babies.

***

They had to act as if nothing had happened over the next few days or rather pretend like they hadn't realised that the deaths weren't a mere accident. They pretended long enough to have a funeral. Freya had used a cloaking spell on the children the day of said funeral, so they could attend. It was heart breaking to witness, their small bodies racked with sobs. No child should ever have to go through that kind of pain. She knew Tillie her niece didn't quite understand what was going on, her belief in Witches being immortal not allowing her to believe the worst, but Jacob did. It was strange he was only two years older yet that two years made the world of difference when she looked between their eyes Tillie's held confused sadness, Jacob, his eyes held a deep understanding, mixed with grief and pain.

They had been on the move for the last six months. Their entire coven had to disperse. The enemy they faced, too cunning, and a coven of witches was too easy to find, especially one as theirs had been. Her family had ruled the coven for generations. They were one of the strongest and oldest surviving witch families in the world.
Freya was posing as a single mother, working as an office manager in a small town lawyer's office. She had been lucky to get such a great paying job.
Her break was almost over. She had to take her break a little earlier than usual, her boss had asked her to only take a fifteen instead of a forty-five. They had a special client coming. She had nodded and agreed, the man was so kind, he had done so much for her already. It was no hardship doing this small favour for him. It was a last-minute meeting that had been arranged the previous night. Walking back into the office from the back patio, Freya grabbed a can of Dr Pepper from the stash she kept in the fridge. Settling at her desk, she immersed herself in work. There was a nagging feeling running through her veins. It was like nervous energy and anticipation, swirling and twisting. Taking another sip of the sugary goodness, she quelled the feeling. It wasn't bad exactly... just uncomfortable. Freya carried on answering the phone, checking emails and getting the banking for the month ready. The door to the office was flung open, hitting the wall with a loud bang. Freya jumped in surprise, looking up into gold flecked green eyes. She watched as his head raised high, nostril's flaring. Freya felt her aura dance at the sight of him. She watched as the amalgamation of colours that defined his own aura, reach out to hers, intertwining in a passionate sway. Her breath caught, body freezing in awareness.

Mate

The word reverberated in her mind or had it been him?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristoff

Kristoff breathed in deeply, the darkness surrounded him. The clouds covering any chance of seeing stars. His wolf was restless. He had just gotten off the phone with his lawyer, their meeting set for the next day. He hadn't meant to put the poor man on the spot, but he needed to sort out the dispute of land ownership at the border of his territory. The matter had completely slipped his mind, it could no longer be put off. Sighing, he decided to undress and go for a run, releasing the tension in his body. Shifting he padded outside, giving his wolf complete control. The wind caressed his fur as he ran wild. It felt amazing. Thoughts ran through his mind as quickly as his paws sank into the earth. Kristoff knew he was young to be Alpha of his pack, there had been no choice. His father had been severely injured five years ago. Though still alive, his father had decided that Kristoff was ready at the ripe young age of seventy. He didn't look his age. If he had to guess in human years he looked in his late twenties. Wolves lived a long, long time. Which was the reason people had scoffed. Some mocked him, calling him 'teen wolf' or 'the baby Alpha'. Not letting other's criticisms get to him. Kristoff shrugged off the comments, choosing to concentrate on leading his people. Suffice it to say, most now feared him. He was now renowned as 'The Savage'. The nickname didn't bother him. If it meant his people, his pack, were protected then he allowed it. Kristoff should feel content, but he knew his wolf longed for his mate. Perhaps one day they would find her. He consoled his wolf as they ran. It wasn't until hours later, he returned to his bedroom in the pack house. Falling into his bed, he slept deep, dreaming that night of dark eyes and lush honey beige skin.

The next morning he held a meeting with his Beta, the head Omega and his head warrior. Contrary to popular belief, the Omega wasn't the weak link of the pack. In actuality they were the emotional backbone of the pack. Their role was just as important, seeing to the pups, dealing with issues that other less dominant members had, but were too intimidated to bring up with extremely dominant wolves such as himself or the Beta. They also dealt with the emotional problems of the whole pack. It was mandatory for each warrior to see an Omega after battle or a challenge. Kristoff reinforced the rule, just as his father, knowing the importance of the sanity of their warriors, and the potential for a downward spiral if they allowed the horrors of battle to settle in deep. A pack structure was simple. The Alpha was in charge below him on equal footing was the Beta, head Omega and head Warrior. Each had their own role. In the absence of the Alpha the Beta would take his or her place unless said Alpha had a mate, then they would co-rule. The rest of the members were broken into two categories dominants and submissives. Dominants were almost always warriors including the females. The submissives always took on roles such as chefs or teachers. Both submissive and dominant members all took turns watching over the pups. It was a great joy for wolves to spend time with the young of the pack. Once their pack business had been discussed, the meeting finished. It was time to make the fifty-minute drive to his lawyer's office. Though Jefferson was human he was mated to one of his wolves, they could have done this at the pack house, but all documents were at the office. Kristoff had decided to just go into town. He had told his Beta and two trusted warriors to accompany him. Though strong he would be stupid to go out to human territory alone. Any shifter travelling into town could not be alone, human territory was regarded as neutral ground to all supernatural beings. As he approached the office his wolf was leaping to the forefront. Breathing in, Kristoff inhaled the most enticing scent he had ever smelt. It was a decadent scent, dark chocolates, cherries and some kind of floral accent. Moving faster, he found himself at the office he was going to. He flung the door open a lot harder than he had meant to. Dark eyes met his. Kristoff's head lifted while he breathed in deeply.

Mate

His wolf went still, raised its head and howled with joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~