Chapter 23: Breaking news

Start from the beginning

Dad narrowed his eyes at me. I gave him a poker face. He forced out a sigh and finally caved in. "It's in my office," dad cocked his head towards the door.

I nodded my head then walked with him inside, and straight to his office.

Dad handed me out the folder. "Why the sudden curiosity, mi princesita? Why would you want to know about her activities?" dad gave me a pointed look. Slowly, a crease formed between his bushy brows. "Did she hurt you in any way?" dad inquired, his prying eyes sharpened, as well as his tone. His jaws became too prominent as it tightened, lips narrowed into a grim line.

I quickly shook my head and forced out a reassuring smile. I didn't want him to meddle. Knowing him, he'll go to great lengths just to keep his family safe. And besides, this is between me and Claire.

He stared at me intently, his green eyes sharp and perusing. "Dad, I just want to know where she spends most of her time," I rolled my eyes at him.

His brow rose up high signaling that he doesn't buy it.

I forced out a chuckle and fake a nonchalant shrug. He stared at me intently, his eyes reading through me. Dad knows us more than ourselves sometimes, why would I always forget that?

But, I didn't budge.

"Oh, come on, dad!" I snapped half-naturedly.

Dad shook his head. Tearing his eyes off me, he spoke. "She spends most of her time with different high ballers on Hollywood. What's new?" dad said as he sat on his chair.

"Dad," I scowled at him.

He looked up and stared at me squarely. "Yes, mi princesita. Even when they were still dating and Alex. I didn't want to tell you because I thought you knew about it. You always said, you two are close?" dad gave me a pointed look and I sighed. Shaking my head slowly, I decided to keep
my mouth shut, not to go against his statement. Instead, I just gave him a pleading look. He finally nodded his head, surrendering in silence.

I drifted my eyes to the folder on my hand. I went through the papers, pictures that were enclosed in the folder. In every photo, Claire was sitting in a private, luxurious yacht with a few people, partying. I took one photo and stared at it. Claire was standing next to a man in his swimming trunks, twice her age. And he's not just an old man, he owns a very successful media conglomerate, Steven Weiner.

The two were intimately close together, Steven's hand were around her waist, while Claire's head was against his hairy chest.

I put down the picture and took another one, and each one confirmed what Alexander had told me. And she wasn't just dating one man, there was five of them. All stinking rich old man.

My eyes caught sight of the date written on the left top of the page. It was three years ago. My eyes flew to my father who was now on his feet, looking out the window.

"Dad," I called him. He slowly turned his head and look at me. "This was gathered three years ago," I said and he nodded his head. "I had to know who are these people my kids hang out with," dad briefly explained and I nodded.

I should know.

"So why didn't you tell me before?" I frowned.

"I think I did," dad scowled at me. "You were too fond of her, you didn't listen," dad shook his head.

I didn't argue with him because I think he mentioned it once, or maybe not just once, but I was too fond of her. She's the only one that's really showed care about me, who didn't get intimidated of my status. That's what I thought. Because of my status, she befriended me.