chapter 29

The dance was going by really well, and the music for the most part was pretty good. Whenever a slow song came on, Cassandra would make her way over to their table and wait it out. A couple of times, Finn, Puck and Blaine would walk over and drag her out to dance with them, while either Rachel, Quinn or Kurt would take a turn sitting out. The girls didn't complain because they only had to sit out one dance each the entire night. The rest of the time, they had their man all to themselves. 

About halfway through the dance, just as everyone had expected, Blaine jumped up on stage and grabbed the microphone. This was a habit of his whenever they went anywhere that dancing was involved. 

"How's it going, McKinley High school?!?!" he asked, then waited as everyone started cheering. "Now, I know that it's still early, seeing as how the dance isn't going to end for a couple more hours, but I've been asked to reveal the prom king and queen right now." 

"I didn't know that Blaine was announcing that," Kurt said, amazed. 

"I asked him to," Rachel said. She helped out with prom, and she knew that Blaine would be perfect for this job. 

"May I have the envelope, please?" Blaine asked before one of the teachers handed him the names of the winners. Blaine unfolded the paper, read the two names silently to himself, then let out a chuckle. "I have to say, I don't think this has ever happened in the history of McKinley High...but the prom king is....Finn Hudson!!" 

This announcement didn't really surprise anyone. Finn gave Rachel a quick kiss before he walked on stage. Rachel watched him as he was crowned, wanting nothing more than to just run up there and yell at the top of her voice that he was her man. 

"And now for the prom queen," Blaine said. "The winner is...Kurt Hudson!!" 

Kurt walked on stage, giving Blaine a quick kiss before he hugged his brother. He was then handed a dozen roses and crowned himself. 

"Now...it's tradition for the king and queen to dance together, and seeing as how the king and queen are actually brothers, it should make for an interesting dance," Blaine said, smiling widely. 

Finn and Kurt walked off the stage before they started dancing together in the middle of the dance floor. At first, it was just the two of them dancing, but after a few seconds, the rest of the school joined in. 

Since Kurt was dancing with Finn, Blaine decided to dance with Rachel. "Care to join me?" he asked as he offered Rachel his arm. 

"I'd love to," Rachel replied with a smile. They then walked over and started to dance next to Finn and Kurt. 

Cassandra once again sat off to the side as the slow song for the prom king and queen started to play. She had originally thought that she wouldn't mind going to the dance without a date, but whenever a slow song came on, she felt like crying. That's when she felt someone place their hand on her shoulder. She looked up to see Brody smiling down at her. 

"What are you doing way over here?" he asked. "You should be out there dancing." 

"I don't have a date," Cassandra admitted sadly. 

"I thought you were going with that Curtsey guy?" Brody asked. 

"You mean Curtis?" Cassandra asked. When Brody nodded, she dropped her head slightly. "His parents caught him drunk one night, so they grounded him." 

"Oh," Brody responded. "Well...it looks like you and I are in the same boat then. Care to dance?" 

Cassandra jumped out of her seat and led the way to the dance floor. Once her and Brody were dancing, she resumed the conversation. "You don't have a date either?"