chapter 6

After school, Rachel hurried to her locker. She was a little disappointed that she didn't see Finn at lunch, but she was also thankful at the same time. She still didn't know what she would say to him if he ever walked up to her. She checked her watched after shutting her locker, and noticed that she had to meet Noah at Breadsticks in ten minutes. She ran out to her car and drove as quickly as the law allowed to the Diner. 

After parking her car, Rachel walked through the doors to the restaurant. She quickly looked around and noticed that Noah wasn't there yet. She did spot Quinn near the back of the diner getting ready for her shift, though. 

"Hey Quinn," Rachel called as she approached her friend. 

"Hey, Rach," Quinn said in a cheerful voice. "What time are you meeting Noah?" 

"Right now," Rachel answered after looking at her watch again. 

"Why don't you take that booth over there," Quinn said, pointing to the far wall of the diner. "It's in my section, so you can stay as long as you want." 

"Thanks Quinn," Rachel said before walking over to the booth. 

Another ten minutes passed by, and still no sign of Noah. Finally, ten more minutes later, Noah walked into the diner...WITH FINN!! Rachel felt her mouth drop open as her eyes widened. She quickly closed her mouth before anyone noticed, especially Finn. 

Noah scanned the diner, and found Rachel sitting by herself in a booth. He started to make his way over, and noticed that Rachel wasn't looking at him at all. Her attention was drawn to something behind him. He looked over his shoulder to find out what she was staring at, and realized that it was Finn. Finn hadn't noticed her yet; his attention was on the menu in his hands as he tried to find something to eat. Noah quietly sat down across from Rachel. 

"Hey, Rachel," Noah said. 

"You're late," Rachel said, still staring at Finn. 

"But I can see that you like what I brought in with me," he said, trying to see if she'd even notice what he said. 

"Huh?" Rachel asked, finally turning her attention to Noah. 

Noah motioned with his head towards the counter, and Rachel turned to see that he was motioning towards Finn. As soon as she looked at Finn, she noticed that he was now staring right back at her. She immediately averted her gaze to the table in front of her. She could hear Noah chuckling softly from across the table, but she didn't care at that particular moment. She just wanted to finish the tutoring session and make it out of the diner without embarrassing herself. 

"Hey...Hudson," Noah called. "Could you bring me a soda?" 

Rachel's head shot up and she locked eyes with Noah. She knew from the gleam in his eyes exactly what he was doing. He didn't really want a soda, he just wanted an excuse to bring Finn over. A minute later, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Finn walk up to the table. As he approached, her eyes tentatively looked up at him. He was looking right at her! She couldn't believe it. Finn set the soda down in front of Noah, and before he left, he gave Rachel one of his smiles that always made her melt. 

"Hey Rachel," he said as he left, still smiling at her. 

HE KNOWS MY NAME!!!! Rachel's brain screamed at her in disbelief. How does he know my name? I never thought that he even knew I existed. 

"Rachel?" Noah asked. 

Rachel turned her attention to Noah. 

"Wow! I didn't know that a persons eyes could get that big," he teased. "You might want to close your mouth though." After Rachel shut her mouth, Noah chuckled to himself. "You look astonished."