chapter 10

Rachel awoke early the next morning. She climbed out of her bed, noticing right away that Quinn was still asleep and showed no signs of waking any time soon. As she entered the kitchen, Rachel saw her parents sitting at the table, both reading different parts of the newspaper. 

"Good morning, honey," Rachel's mom said after looking up from the paper. 

"Morning mom, dad," Rachel replied. 

"Morning," her dad replied. "Did you sleep well?" 

"Yeah," Rachel said. She actually slept better last night than she had in a long time. 

"What time are you and Quinn leaving today?" her mom asked. 

"Finn is picking us up around noon." 

"Finn?" her dad asked, putting his paper down to show Rachel that she had his full attention. "I don't think you've told me about Finn." 

Rachel let out a sigh. Deep down she was grateful that her parents cared about her enough to show interest in her life, but on the other hand, there were some things she wanted to keep to herself. 

"He's just a boy from school," Rachel responded. 

"That's funny," her mom said. "That's exactly the way you described him to me yesterday." 

"Well, if Rachel doesn't want to talk about him, I guess we could always sit him down and ask him these questions when he gets here in a few hours," her dad suggested. 

"DAD!!!" Rachel half whined, half shouted. "Don't you dare!!" 

"Boy," her dad said in an exasperated voice. "This Finn guy is obviously much more than just a friend from school. I can tell by the way you're acting." He knew his daughter well enough to know when she was downplaying a situation. 

"FINE!" Rachel said, feeling defeated. "What do you want to know about him?" 

"Does he have a last name?" her dad asked. 

"Yes he does. It's Hudson." 

"Hudson," her dad repeated. "Is he a junior like you?" 

"No, he's a senior." 

"An older man, huh?" her dad asked jokingly. "How long have you been dating him again?" he asked casually. 

"We're not dating...yet," Rachel said, whispering the last word, hoping that nobody heard it. 

"Yet?" her dad asked. 

Well, so much for that, she thought. "Look, I'm not really sure where we stand right now. I've gone to school with him for a while now, but we just barley met the other day. Actually, we just met yesterday. Other than that, I don't really know anything else about him. We're going to hang out today, and...oh yeah. He asked me to the prom yesterday." The last part of that sentence Rachel said as quickly as she could before she bolted out of the kitchen. 

"THE PROM?" she heard both her parents say in unison. 

"RACHEL BARBARA BERRY, YOU GET BACK IN HERE RIGHT NOW!" she heard her dad call. 

Rachel let out a sigh as a pained expression came over her face. She slowly walked back into the kitchen, and stood in the doorway. She looked at her parents, willing them to fill her in on why they still wanted to talk to her. 

"Let me see if I got this straight," her dad said. "You just met this boy yesterday, and he's already asked you to the prom?" 

Rachel simply nodded her head as her eyebrows raised involuntarily. 

"Interesting," her dad said with a smile. 

"I'm going to take a shower now," Rachel said, trying desperately to escape from the kitchen. She walked back into her room, and found that Quinn was still asleep. Rachel glanced at the clock next to her bed and saw that it was just about 9:45. Only a couple more hours, she thought to herself. 

Finn looked at the clock that was hanging on the kitchen wall for the hundredth time in the past ten minutes. He had woken up around 6:00 that morning, and immediately realized that he wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. He was too excited about hanging out with Rachel. He had showered around 7:30, and now all he could do was wait. 

He looked at the clock - again - and saw that it was now just past 10:00. About one whole minute had passed by since the last time he looked at the clock. Finn wanted nothing more than to just drive over to Rachel's house and pick her up at that moment. I could just drive by her place, Finn thought. I wouldn't have to stop, I could just drive by to make sure I wouldn't have any trouble finding her house later. 

A smile appeared on his face as he ran into his bedroom, grabbed his keys and the piece of paper that he wrote Rachel's address on, and ran out the front door. He jumped into his Jeep, and before he knew what he was doing, he found himself driving down the street Rachel lived on. He looked from house to house, trying to find the one that Rachel lived in. There are some really nice houses on this street, Finn thought to himself. 

He slowed the Jeep down when he saw the house he was looking for. He looked at the numbers on the house, then at the piece of paper in his hand, just to make sure that he had the right house. Just as he was about to pull away, something in Rachel's driveway caught his eye. He turned his full attention towards it, and as soon as he realized what it was, his eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets. 

"Oops," he whispered to himself as he felt a blush creeping quickly up his cheeks. "Busted."