chapter 19

Rachel woke up Monday morning and even though she only got about five hours of sleep, she wasn't the least bit tired. She jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom, realizing that she would see Finn at school today. Once she was showered and dressed, she headed downstairs and found her parents at the dinning room table reading the newspaper. 

"Hey mom, hey dad," Rachel said as she walked over to the fridge and grabbed the orange juice, pouring herself a glass. 

"Good morning honey," Mrs. Berry said. "You didn't get much sleep last night, are you going to be okay at school?" 

"Yeah, I'll be fine, mom," Rachel said before taking a drink of her juice. 

"You better be fine," Mr. Berry said teasingly. "You know something," he said, putting down the newspaper and turning his attention to Rachel. "Your mother and I were just talking, and we'd like you to invite Finn over for dinner sometime this week." 

Rachel nearly choked on her drink. She quickly grabbed a napkin and wiped the juice off her chin that had nearly shot out her mouth. "Dinner?" she asked. 

"Yeah," Mr. Berry said, amused by his daughters reaction. "Your mom hasn't had a chance to talk to him yet, and I wouldn't mind finding out more about him myself." 

"So this is going to be an interrogation dinner," Rachel said, seeing her dad's true motivation. 

"Think of it as a..." Mr. Berry began, trying to think of another way to phrase it. "Okay, well an interrogation dinner," he finally relented. "We just want to get to know him a little better, that's all." 

"We promise that we won't make him feel uncomfortable," Mrs. Berry said, giving her husband a warning look. 

Rachel eyed her parents for a second. "I'll ask him," she finally said. "But I'm not promising anything." 

Rachel arrived at school a little early. She wanted to make sure that she was there just in case Finn wanted to see her before their classes started. The hallways were always empty at this time of the morning. Most of the students didn't show up until the last possible second. She walked up and opened her locker, pulling out the books she needed. 

"Hey Rach!" 

Rachel turned around to see Quinn walking up to her. Now would be the perfect time to start the little joke that her and Finn were going to play on Puck and Quinn. 

"Hey Quinn," Rachel answered in a less than enthusiastic voice. 

"What's wrong?" Quinn asked. "I figured that you'd be bouncing off the walls today. I mean, you and Finn are now an item, right?" 

Rachel frowned at her friend. "Actually...no, we're not." 

"WHAT?!?" Quinn exclaimed. "But he seemed so into you last night. He even drove you home. Are you telling me that nothing happened on your front porch?" 

"Nothing happened," Rachel said, hanging her head slightly. She should get an Oscar for this performance, she thought. 

"Not even a little peck of a kiss?" 

"Quinn," Rachel said, trying to remember exactly what Finn wanted her to say. "I need to tell you something." She took a deep breath before continuing. "Finn likes someone else. Well, not just anyone else, but...one of my friends." 

"One of your friends?" Quinn asked in disbelief. "Which friend? I'll take her out for you." 

"It's you, Quinn," Rachel said, trying to hold back the laughter that threatened to overtake her after seeing Quinn's reaction.