Chapter 17: Plan in Motion

Start from the beginning

"That's good I'm glad you are recovering at a fast pace."

"Well how are you since you last saw Jaida?"

"I'm going to act like you asked me the same question that I asked you. Yes La'Toya I'm great thanks for asking."

Both of them can't deny the feelings they have for each other. Why won't they admit it already? They have my blessing.

"Well Jaida was wondering if you wanna yah along with us today. She didn't want to third wheel today. So we invited you. Later at sunset we're going to the beach. You down?"

"I got some stuff I'm into now, but I'll catch y'all at the beach. Tell Jaida I'll text her later."

"Alright bye brother in law I mean Ryan."

"Bye La'Toya."

I hang up the phone and Jaida is staring at me.

"What?"

"Bye brother in law really? What kinda mess is that?"

"Love you too. He said he ain't gon be able to go to the mall, but he would meet us at the beach. Oh and he'll text you later."

I smirk at her.

"Don't. Even. Go. There. The stuff you and Orlando be on."

"Okay I'm gonna change the subject. So Orlando is finna pick us up in less than three minutes.

Orlando
Instead of driving my truck today I'm deciding to go with the black 2018 Lincoln Navigator. I mean it holds more people. Now that I know where La'Toya stays I can easily text her when I'm like three minutes away. Call me evil, but I think it's funny when girls try to rush. When I pull up in the driveway I honk my horn three times. Then La'Toya and Jaida comes out of the house running. They both have their beach bags. La'Toya climbs in the passenger seat and Jaida hops in the back.

"Come on Orlando lets go. The stores aren't gonna shop themselves."

"Miss Robinson don't rush me."

"Um guys I'm back here don't y'all start all that. Y'all gonna make me sick."

RJ is calling my phone for some reason.

"Hello."

"What do you got planned for today?"

"Jaida don't even when you know how you were booed up with Ryan at the hospital."

"Taking these girls shopping."

"Ryan?"

"Yeah some dude that likes Jaida. We heading to the mall then the beach if you wanna tag along."

"I might, but I gotta go."

"Later RJ."

"Later O."

RJ
Nah that can't be the same Ryan. It has to be a complete coincidence. That couldn't possibly be our cousin Ryan. Jaida wouldn't fall for a monster like him. I know one thing is for certain if that is him I gotta be prepared for the beach. I'm always packing, but imma have some extra ones and a bullet proof vest. I get ready, and before long it's sunset time to go to the beach.

La'Toya
When we pulled up to the beach I hadn't seen a sight more beautiful than this. Orlando tossed me the keys and I put them on one of his chains. Then I put the chain around my neck. It reminded me of the song that went like do your chain hang low. I giggle and start walking around the beach. I see like some bleachers and that's where the majority of the teens are. Me and Jaida squeeze in and find us a spot. The music is on the max volume. I look at Jaida looks at me and we start twerking. I look down and see my grandma's best friend looking up. Jaida and I try to sneak away. We got to the bottom of the bleachers managing to avoid her. I pass Mrs. Graham I know her because I had a class with her son in second grade. A spilt second after I pass her I hear a gun shot. Everybody on the beach scatter like roaches. I stood still for a second analyzing my surroundings. I was about to take off when my grandma's best friend touch Jaida's and my shoulder.

"La'Toya go help out. Take your friend with you."

Jaida and I hear another gun shot. We run full speed to the car. Before I could get there I almost knock over this y'all light skinned guy. In his arms I see a woman covered in blood. Tears were pouring out of his eyes he tried to hold back, but I know he couldn't help it. What does a person say at these moments? I unlock the car and her son lies her down. Jaida's riding  shotgun. On the way to the hospital I try to break the ice.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Graham...."

"Wish it was you? It should've been you that's who it was meant for."