Chapter Seventy

Começar do início

Esme stared at her, silent as what Effie had just sunk in, then laughed awkwardly. 'Madama McGill, I'm not a Witch.'

'Then how did you summon a God?'

'I didn't summon him. He just promised to come when I called.'

Effie laughed loudly, cackling slightly. 'Esme! That's what Summoning is! A Spirit offers his protection and friendship, bound together with a whistle. Whether he responds or not is always up to him.'

Esme knew that but it just wasn't fitting in her her. She had been raised in a Tower. She had a Grimoire. She wasn't a Witch.

'But I'm a Wizard.' Esme defended lamely.

'And not a very good one, or so Lithgow insisted. It's what got me involved.' Effie patted Esme's knee comfortingly. 'You're a Witch, Esme, and a bloody powerful one at that. You have bonded with Spirits with such ease. You even have a Sprite attached to you and is willing to destroy himself to protect you!'

Esme glanced down at Absolon as he slept, his body still slowly inflating. She remembered how he'd do anything for her; defend her from a shape-changing spell he couldn't possibly deflect and the onslaught of knives when someone tried to kidnap her.

'He's my friend.'

'And he's bonded to you magically. He follows you because you tied him to you.' Effie said. 'And you did it without realising.' She smiled softly. 'I imagine if I did a test, I would find only the smallest amount of Ego within you but a sea of Entity. Deep and endless.' She glanced at the damaged Everwood's roots had done, leaving behind ghostly veins on the walls. 'You have tamed a God, few have managed that, let alone one who has no idea she's doing it, and you broke a powerful spell not even a Grand Wizard could lift, simply because you trusted those around you and dug up your real memories.' Her old eyes swivelled back to Esme. 'So, I'd like you as my apprentice. I'd like you to take over my Coven. With your knowledge of the Towers and connection to Lithgow, I knew for certain you could keep my Coven safe and guided.'

Esme clutched Absolon to her chest, her heart pumping. 'But...I'm a Wizard in my head. Catriona and Glenna wanted to keep a Spirit alive and I didn't. I thought it was too dangerous.'

'And we still need to make those calls. It can be tough but it's a Mother Witch's job to decide when a God is too powerful or shouldn't exist at all.' Effie said firmly. 'But did you really think what they were doing was wrong?'

Esme hesitated. She remembered how the magic died the moment the butterfly attached itself onto Nightshade, how it became almost harmless. It made her wonder if there were other ways to keep Spirits alive, maybe even Gods.

'I didn't. I thought maybe the Wizards could learn from them a little.'

'Then you have the capacity to learn our ways. You are not entirely a Wizard.' Effie suddenly rose. 'Think on it, Esme. The power in you is strong and would go to waste if you didn't use it.'

Effie left her without another word, leaving Esme to sit alone, her head whirling at the thought she was a Witch, clutching at Absolon and desiring nothing but to go home with Fox.

*

Fox sat alone in the courtyard, watching as the Tower writhed with activity. Apparently, most Wizards had been dropped off to sleep by the Druids who had infiltrated the Tower or turned a blind eye to the brief battle. Lithgow was furious and Fox didn't need to eavesdrop to hear his voice. So far, over half of his Council members had been chucked into prison on bribe and corruption charges, some had been taken to a healer to remove the memory and control spells Denver had inflicted upon them and those remaining were simply cowards.