XI. Cracks of the Past

Start from the beginning

She seemed to have flattered the woman. "...Thank you." Guinevere said after a moment. She then turned around. "You should rest, now."

And with those words, she headed for the door.

Once the door clicked shut, Yui's head hit the soft pillow. Pulling the blankets higher to snuggle in its warmth, her eyes began to droop as sleep threatened to take over.

'Ah...' Yui thought tiredly. 'I forgot to tell her about the purple-haired woman I saw in the garden...'

Her eyes then closed.

+++++++++++++

Bare feet were suddenly meet smooth, concrete ground with a faded yellowy-white tone and tints of grey. The ground looked cold, however, the platinum blonde could feel nothing as she walked.

Halting, she looked around. 'What's this? I thought I was sleeping ...Where am I?'

Her surroundings were unfamiliar, with various trees along the side of the wide pathways in front of the tall, purple walls that were carved into slightly shorter arcs within them as they lined up next to each other.

She then glancing behind her, and saw a grand, extravagant fountain carved from dark green stones. Though the water appeared clean as it sprouted from within the mountain, it seemed dull, with barely any glossiness evident when fragile sunlight pierced through.

The sound of squawking made her flinch, and she tilted her head up to the sky to see crows dressed in black flying away underneath a blanket of grey sky. 'Something is off about this place. Everything is almost...lifeless, and the weather is gloomy—'

Three figures running past her interrupted her thoughts. She turned as laughter reached her ear, and her eyes widened upon recognition.

'Are those kids...the triplets?' She took a step closer to them. '...They can't see me?'

"The bats I caught got away..." Little Kanato began rubbing his eye.

Little Laito and Ayato stopped to look at him.

"Don't cry, Kanato," Laito soothed, the long stick wavering slightly in his hand. "We can catch them again."

Ayato placed a hand on his hip, a broad smile on his face. "Yeah, so stop your snivelling. I'll catch 'em all for you!"

Kanato nodded happily, and they started running again when a voice stopped them.

"Ayato?"

Yui watched as the woman walked towards the three of them, her purple hair flowing behind her as she wore a fashionable black dress that wiped the floor. White waves billowed out artistically from the right side of her dress below her hip while her arms were laced with criss-crossing black ribbons. The halter straps on her neckline matched the ribbon designs on her arms, and her neck had a thin, black choker. A white rose was pinned on the right side of her bosoms, adding to the woman's cruel beauty.

Lime green eyes glared down at identically coloured ones. "So this is where you've been. Now, come along with me."

Yui's hand unconsciously curled as it placed on her chest. 'Isn't that the woman I saw on the garden?'

After knowing that her mother wasn't concerned about him, Laito spun and said to Kanato, "Let's go."

They both ran off, leaving Ayato with the intimidating woman.

"You're going back to study." Her voice was void of emotion, as her arms remained loosely folded underneath her chest.

Ayato squeezed his eyes shut, fist clenched. "N-no way! All I've done is study!"

"I don't want any excuses. Return to your room."

"How come Laito and Kanato get to play, while all I ever do is study?!" Ayato continued to protest, his gaze at the ground.

"Because," the woman began, ignoring the other two of the triplets running around, "you're different from other children."

"No! I wanna play more!"

This caused her voice to raise. "How many times must I tell you?!"

The boy's eyes contained fear once his head snapped up.

"You are the successor. Do you understand what that means?" Firmly, she asked. With no room for replies, she continued, "Now, tell me what you must do."

The lively flames in Ayato's eyes were demolished by sadness. "I must be number one...I must become better than anyone else..."

"And if you fail?"

"...I am not my mother's child, so I will be sunk to the bottom of the lake..."

Blood red lips curled into a ruthless grin. "Exactly. Good boy!" Her eyes then narrowed, the iciness greater than before. "You are worthless to me unless you are number one, and worthless boys must spend their eternity at the bottom of the cold, damp lake...

...Unless that's what you want, go back to your room."

Yui watched, her eyes full of sympathy as the boy ran away. She was about to follow him when another voice stopped her in her tracks.

"Cordelia-sama, your elder sister and niece has arrived," the maid said.

Cordelia clicked her tongue, flicking a purple strand behind her shoulder. Her tone thick with annoyance, she said, "Let them in."

...

"So? What brings you here, nee-san?" the purple-haired woman questioned, her tone too sickly sweet for one's taste.

They locked eyes. "Ah. Cordelia," her sister greeted coolly as she walked. "I am merely here to pay my friend and nephews a visit."

The sister had ebony-blue hair that cascaded down in thick, soft waves, reaching just past the middle of her back. It was parted from perfectly from the middle, appearing lusciously styled before being tossed over her shoulders. Her alluring eyes were slightly upturned, holding confidence while the silveriness performed trickery like child's play underneath the light.

Her extravagant, sleeveless white dress had a V-shape neckline made of georgette fabric that stylishly draped over the sweetheart neckline and underlayer of the dress in a dark, purplish-blue shade. It flowed past her hips, stopping halfway down the lower section of her gown before breaking off into elegant swirls of waves that doubled sharply at the sides. A scarf was wrapping around the woman's back, resting over the crook of her slender arms to flow down her sides, matching the georgette fabric.

Earrings made of purplish-blue gems hung from her ears, each surrounded by a light silver border that gleamed under the light as it was carved with curvy designs akin to a spider's thread.

Cordelia narrowed her eyes at her sister's response before flickering them towards the twelve-year-old girl who just joined them, standing at her mother's side. The girl's breathtaking beauty, along with her etiquette behaviour and honeyed tongue, were clearly inherited by her flawless mother beside her.

"Good morning, Aunt Cordelia," the young niece greeted courteously. A small smile adorned her face, and if a second of attention was wasted, one would not notice that it was strained.

After pursing her lips, Cordelia gave a curt acknowledgement. "Guinevere."