December stood beside Director Fury as he said the dreaded words, her sight flashes through a few bodies.

Maria Hill was heaving her head wound tended too. When Fury's voice came over the earpiece she pushed away the doctor. Her hand reaching up to her earpiece, and her eyes widening a smidge in shock.

Natasha Romanoff was standing on the catwalk as Barton was dragged away by some minor agents. She listened intently. Her face blank. A shield work said over the earpiece, "a medical team is on its way to your location.

His voice rang through the earpiece with unwanted news, "they're here..." Tony Stark and Steve Rogers stood in the engine way, solemnly listening. "They called it."

------<>------

Tony and Steve sat at the conference table, behind the bridge, with Tony's chair and him almost facing away. Fury stood at the head, while Hill stood to the side. Just before Fury started talking, December walked in and took the seat beside Tony, leaning back into it. Still wearing the same blue swing coat. Everyone was indeed gruesome, December being the only one who had been able to wear a small smile for a little bit. But right now, her eyes just shown with pity.

Pity for the mortals, who were destined to live such a hard and taxing life.

Of course this wasn't the first time she had seen death, and would never be the last. She had not even known Coulson, only talking in greeting. But it always hurt to see humans so morose. She had lived through so any era's and wars, sometimes she really wanted to head down to Hades and demand him to stop. But sadly the world did not work that way, plus he only housed them, he didn't bring their deaths. The fates did. And she would never walk up to them.

Plus being only half greek goddess didn't exactly give her a high social ranking in the Greek Parthenon. 

Fury looked through some cards in his hands, "these were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them."

Fury scattered them on the table. Some are wet with blood. Steve picked one up and looked at it gloomily, "we're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Think I had that coming." Fury begins to make his way around the table to Steve, Tony, and December. "Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number, though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this," Stark looked up a little, "called the Avengers Initiative."

From her spot December smiled discreetly, she hoped that eventually the humans would try something like this, and finally after centuries of helping and trying to guide humanity to life, they finally came to this conclusion. Under her breath she whispered, "purpose fuels passion. Huh Fury, you really are a good manipulator."

Fury reached a chair between Tony and Steve, "the idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes."