#The End

Lucas' POV:

As I lay down on the hospital bed, machines and wires hooked onto every inch of my muscular frame, a voice echoed throughout the spacious room. It had been a little more than a while since I had last heard it, but I had recognized everything about it. The accent, the way he pronounced his 'a'. Everything. Afterall, it was the voice of the man that I had grown up with. My brother.

"Lu-Luc-as," I heard his Southern accent falter into nothingness as he uttered my name. It shattered my heart into many pieces as the voice of a once strong man became mere sobs and stutterings... Because of me. Upon realizing the truth, I persevered at moving any muscle in my body, even just for a slight second, so that it may act as an indication that I am trying to come back to them. All of them. Even to Maya. My Maya.

But I had failed to do so, for then, my brother grabbed my hand and intertwined it with mine. 

"You know," he sniffled once more, "I was so devastated when I found out about the killing of mama and papa. Sure, it was for the sole reason that we had lost our parents, but even more for the reason that I would be losing you. I didn't want to admit it, but I loved you. And so when you had said it to me, I was so broken that I-I couldn't bring myself to say it back, because I didn't want the last time we said 'I love you' to be a goodbye. But that was my biggest regret because at the end of the day, our final 'I love you' is to bid goodbye. Lu-Luk-e, I-I lo-v-e yo-you!"

Then, as I felt his hand loosen its grip on mine, arms of multiple people wrapped around my torso, staining what I had assumed was a hospital gown. Blue, hopefully. But as the sobs grew louder, my urge to fight for the life I had been given became stronger and building as their voices rang in my ears. Oh! - why is this so hard, "I love you, Lucas," and with that, I felt as if every fiber of my being was empowered by a jolt of lightning. Maya Hart loves me back. 

The girl that I have been in love with for so long loves me too.

Feeling the adrenaline rush through my stiff joints and aching muscles, I moved my finger. It took more time than I had read before, but if anything, it was worth it. In fact, more than that. "I lo-lov-e y-ou," and with that, I fainted back into unconsciousness, feeling the weight lift off my chest, and many screams gaining the attention of the doctors. I have done it. I gave them a sense of hope, for once. And for my entire life, assuming I make it back, will continue to do so...

5 Hours Later

"Lucas," I heard a whisper as I opened my eyes, regaining my sight. Sure, I felt drowsy but seeing the petite figure, blonde waves, and mesmerizing blue eyes, the hurt I felt became lost in a whirlwind of my emotions: sadness, happiness, hope, and love. Even through the many heartbreaks, this woman will forever hold my heart in the palm of her hands.

"Maya," I said lazily, feeling a smile tug at my lips. "Hey, hey, don't try and force yourself," her voice was a beautiful melody, and one that over the years, became my favorite sound. It was, to me, better than any music I have ever heard. Nodding my head, I felt as a pair of cold hands held my face in them, radiating a familiar warmth. I leaned into it, for I had wanted nothing more than this very moment, a moment of love between the two of us.

"Lucas, I have something to say to you," I mumbled a silent 'yes', feeling my energy slowly returning to me. As I heard her gulp, I became nervous, but that was lost as I heard her next phrase. "I am in love with you. I am not going to say that I am going to give my heart to you because, no doubt in my mind, you already have it. This whole time you were lying in this bed and in surgery, I felt so scared, so much regret and so hollow. It was because while you were away, you took my heart with you. I don't want to feel that way, which is why I am using every moment to tell you how I feel, like I should have done before. Lucas Tristan Friar, I am in love with every piece of you and will continue to do so. You showed me that hope isn't for suckers, which is why I am hoping you would still consider taking me back, but as your girlfriend?"

I felt as a warm liquid streamed down from my emerald eyes, and a grin ghosting my lips. I was on cloud 9. Nodding my head as a reply, I pulled the tiny frame into my embrace and locked our lips together like my life depended on it to happen. Though it was a small action, I had never felt such an explosion of emotions before. "I do," and with that being said, I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, my smile never leaving my face. "And I am in love with you too," Closing my eyes for a second, I mustered up the courage to add one more line I had meant for her 2 years ago:

"Hey, Maya Penelope Hart?" I asked her as she hummed a response, head still resting against my chest. Staring at the beauty in front of me, I thanked my lucky star for the moment we met, every moment until now, and will continue to thank it for every moment after this very one.

"You and me, always and forever?"

"Always and forever, Huckleberry, always and forever!"