Chapter 1

'What's wrong?' the boy asked him, 'are you alright?'

Haru swallowed the lump in his throat, gritting his teeth as he stared at the boy who stood before him. The boy looked to be about seventeen or eighteen, the same age as Haru.

He stared back at Haru, waiting expectantly, calmly standing there with his hands in his pockets.

'Well?' the boy asked in a playful manner. 'What's wrong, cat got your tongue?'

Haru gave a small gasp, eyes widening slightly.

A memory flashed in his mind then of his mother, many years ago when he was very young.

He remembered the words she had spoken to him when Haru was afraid, or when times were difficult for him, she would help him.

It just takes one act of bravery, a single breath, a heartbeat......just say the words......

Haru drew himself up, forcing the words from his mouth.

'I'm all alone here' he began awkwardly. 'I've just transferred here, my.... f-father wanted me to go to this school.'

Haru waited for a moment, but the boy just stared back at him, blinking. After a few seconds passed, it was clear that he was waiting for Haru to continue.

'Um...I....' Haru's heart beat harder in his chest, and he fought back his nervous tears. 'I don't...know anyone in this school...I was wondering if you could...would...'

The boy continued to stare mutely, his expression passive, if not a little curious.

'I was wondering if you wanted... to be my friend...I mean...if that's ok' Haru finished, trailing off. 'I get lonely...'

A second past, and Haru's nerves failed him.

'I'm sorry' he whispered, turning to run away.

'Hey!'

Haru was jerked back suddenly as the boy grabbed his sleeve. Haru glanced around tearfully, seeing that the boy was smiling.

'I would love to be your friend' he said.

'Hu?'

'What is your name?'

Haru blinked back at him.

The boy let go of his sleeve, and Haru turned back to face him.

'Do you mean it?' Haru mumbled.

'Well sure.' He paused. 'Why are you crying?'

'I get so nervous' Haru said wiping at his eyes. 'I'm sorry...'

'There's no need to be sorry' he replied jovially. 'My name is Aubrey, what's your name?'

Haru groaned to himself.

'Well?' Aubrey asked with a teasing smile, tilting his head at him. 'What is it?'

'Um...it's...Haru.'

'You're awfully nervous, aren't you?' Aubrey smiled.

'I don't mean to be...'

'Oh no don't cry' Aubrey hastened.

'I'm not crying, I've just...got something in my eye...'

'Sure.'

Haru glanced up, watching a pair of girls walk past them in the hallway, caught up in their conversation they didn't seem to notice anything else. But Haru waited until they were gone before speaking again.

'This is all so new to me' Haru said to Aubrey glumly. 'I get scared.'

'What's there to be scared of?' Aubrey asked him casually.