Sixteen

It was late. And Alex was aware of it. But she needed to see him. Needed to ask him if it was true. All of it.

Don't get her wrong, she didn't believe Eunbyul, she had lost all trust in her a while back but it was the only explanation she had.

Clutching a flashlight in one hand and her dress in the other, Alex made her way to Hyunjin's cottage, careful not to get her pretty dress dirty.

She continuously slid and almost fell due to both her heels and the mud from the shower that still hadn't dried.

"I mean I get he needed a hiding place but a forest? A forest of all places?" Alex muttered in frustration. "First of all, it's right outside the palace grounds, not much of a hiding place if you ask me. At least find a place about five kilometres from the palace...or more, in fact. Hide in a village maybe."

"You think people won't recognise their own prince? The one who was next to the throne?"

Alex jumped at Hyunjin's sudden appearance, dropping her flashlight and grabbing the nearest object. A twig.

"Aw, cute, you're going to try kill me with a twig!" He chuckled, earning an eye roll from the girl as she picked her flashlight up again.

"Argh, whatever, Hyunjin. What are you doing here anyway?"

He raised an eyebrow in a teasing manner.

"Shouldn't I be the one asking that? Shouldn't you be hating me right now? Or at least be scared?"

"Why should I?"

"Eunbyul didn't tell you a thing? Weird, she told me she did. I got worried for a second."

"She did."

"Then why aren't you even a little bit scared?"

"Are you implying what she said was true?"

He chuckled deeply and leaned against a tree, a smirk decorating his face.

"Depends. What did she say? Eunbyul has always been one to exaggerate a story...or at least change it up a bit."

"She told me you murdered someone...didn't say who though..."

He chuckled some more.

"Did she perhaps ever tell you she as involved? Or what she did exactly?"

Alex shook her head.

"No...that's why I came to hear your side of the story. So I know what actually happened and what didn't."

He smiled.

"That's going to be hard."

"Huh? Why?"

"Eunbyul's never going to reveal what she really did. And although I can tell you my story, that's not going to stop me from exaggerating. I need you on my side after all. Besides, how could you ever figure out what happened when you don't even have a complete equation?"

"What?"

"You're missing someone...she was involved as well."

"There was someone else? I always thought it was just Eunbyul and you."

He shook his head.

"She was on Eunbyul's side."

"Who is it?"

"Suzy."

"Suzy? So like...me?"

"No," he roared with laughter. "You aren't Suzy. Just in her skin."

"You made me look like one of your enemies? What the eff, Hyunjin?"

"Look I would have put you in someone else's skin if I could."

"Why couldn't you?"

"I needed you close to me...and Eunbyul."

"Eunbyul? Why Eunbyul?"

Hyunjin chuckled.

"You ask a lot of questions, Alex."

"Just answer me already! I've been in Wonderland for almost a month now and I still have no idea what the heck is going on!'

"Ok, ok, fine. I needed you to see Eunbyul's character for yourself. Hat way it would be easier to convince you that she was involved in the murder. Didn't expect her to befriend you though."

"But how does she know who I am? That I'm Alex?"

He sighed.

"There was this plan I had long ago. And it actually involved you. One night when I was out, Suzy and Eunbyul snuck into my base, mind you I wasn't always living in that old cottage. Anyway, they found the plan and I only managed to catch them as they were leaving. I only realised she knew that much when she called your name that time."

"Why was I in your plan?"

"I don't want to sound like a creepy stalker but when I saved that day wasn't the first time I saw you. I first saw you about four years ago. I remember you wore a black sweatshirt and skinny jeans. It was a Friday night and you were performing a song on the street. It was an Ed Sheeran song-"

"A Team," Alex responded. "You remember all that?"

He nodded.

"It had always confused me. Why were you on the streets instead of a stage?"

She sighed.

"I quit school at sixteen to persue a singing career. Sadly, it didn't work out to my favour. I lacked a lot of the singing fountains so I was denied countless times...do you sing?"

Hyunjin's eyes widened as he strongly shook his head.

"I prefer not to."

"Oh come on, you can't be that bad."

He shook his head.

"No way. Keep dreaming, Alex. I wouldn't sing for you even if my life depended on it."

She smirked.

"We'll see about that."