Chapter 20

What did Matt do to her?! Why would Matt do this to her? I didn’t know how to react… Matt didn’t notice that I had opened the door, and he didn’t know that I heard anything he had just said. I walked into the room as casually as I could without sounding too suspicious…

“Hey Matt, mind if I talk to Laura?”

“Sure, but she’s sleeping. Why would you want to talk to her if she was sleeping?”

“No, look. She is waking up now.”

Matt turned to look at her and saw that I was right, so he walked towards the door. I sat down in the chair beside her bed and noticed that Matt had not yet completely left the room. He stood at the door like he was waiting for something.

“Stacy… why are you suddenly being nice to me? I figured you would hate me… you know… considering I DID kidnap you …”

“Don’t worry about it Matt. Just go home and rest, Laura will be fine.”

Matt walked out of the room, and I knew that it was my chance to get to the bottom of everything.

“Hey Laura, how are you feeling?”

“Don’t try to play nice Stacy… I know you are only doing this because I’m laying here in this bed. I know that if I was still perfectly fine, you would still hate my guts as much as you always have.”

“Don’t try to change the subject Laura; I just want to know what happened and why you ended up here. Is your memory back any?”

“My memory was never gone, and I don’t want to talk about what happened. It’s not important. I just want to get out of here, and forget that any of this ever happened.”

“Well Laura, it’s obviously important if you are lying here in the HOSPITAL. I know it was Matt, I know he’s the one who put you in here, just tell me what happened.”

I saw that Laura was starting to get teary eyed, and I knew this was going to be hard for her to talk about. I just needed the reassurance from her that Matt was the one who gave her all these bruises. I know that I hated Laura for everything she has done to me, but I am a human being. I can’t stand seeing someone in this kind of state. If it wasn’t Matt who put her here, then who else could it be?

“You’re right Stacy… It was Matt. After you guys tied me up and ran away, Matt found me lying on the floor, screaming and all tied up. He was furious. He was the one who wanted me to capture you guys. He’s really got something against you Stacy. He told me that if I don’t make an attempt at ruining your life, he was going to ruin mine… but worse. When he found me all tied up, he punched me and kicked me until I was unconscious. He called the ambulance and stayed here with me the whole time trying to look like the good guy… Oh and I wasn’t actually sleeping. I heard what Matt said. That was all part of the act. The whole “I never meant to do that you” crap, that was all fake… I’m sorry I did all that mean stuff to you Stacy. It was mostly out of fear of Matt… and partly out of jealousy…”

“Wait, jealousy?”

“Yeah, I knew how much Jai used to like you and—“

“No Laura, Jai likes YOU know. Just be happy with Jai, and forget about the whole Matt thing. We will get this taken care of. Just relax and get some rest. Is there anything you need?”

“No, I’m fine. Thanks Stacy, it really means a lot.”

“Have you called your parents yet?”

“The hospital has, but they should be here later. Thanks again.”

I walked out of the room and motioned for Luke and Susan to follow me out to the car. I said goodbye to jai as he went into Laura’s room.

I thought about everything that just happened on the way out of the hospital and into the parking lot.

“So what happened?” Luke asked.

“All those terrible things that were happening to me were because of Matt, not Laura. He threatened her and told her that if she didn’t try and ruin my life, he would ruin hers. She was scared of him, so she did whatever he said to do. It was all an act to get Matt off of her back. When Matt found her tied up when we tied her up, he beat her up and then called for help to make it seem like he found her like that…”

“Wow, why wouldn’t Laura tell me about this?” Susan said.

I drove back home, and that’s when the real trouble started…