Chapter 9

So many questions flooded my thoughts. Where am I? How did I get here? And then I remembered. Luke. I was talking to him on the phone just before I was brought here. Oh no, he must be so worried. Maybe he called the police? Maybe he is out looking for me? Either way, I just wanted him to be here to save me from this dark, scary room. Then I thought about my mom. She was probably worried sick. How was I supposed to know I was going to get kidnapped on my way home? I just wanted her to know I’d be okay. Most of all, I wanted to know for myself that I’d be okay…

The room was so dark, and the only light source was from a small window at the top of the room. It was dark outside, so I knew it was still night time, but it was lighter outside that in this room. Was I in a basement? Whose house is this? I was looking for a way to climb up to that window and make an attempt at my escape. The ceilings weren’t too high, maybe about 10 feet tall, and I was already about 5 ½ feet tall. I found a few chairs. They were just regular chairs you would sit in when eating dinner. I stacked the chairs, but it wasn’t stable at all. I didn’t want to make too much noise in case the person who kidnapped me would hear my trying to leave. I climbed on the chairs and reached for the window. I tried opening it, but another sound startled me. I heard footsteps approaching. The room was too dark so I couldn’t tell where the door was, but from the sound of the footsteps lead me to know where they were coming from. I jumped down from the chairs, and lay back on the floor, and tried to get into the same position I was in when I woke up.

The door opened, and I heard the footsteps getting closer.

“I know you’re awake.”

The voice sounded so familiar, but I just couldn’t exactly remember whose voice it was. Then I remembered…

Matt.

I opened my eyes. I couldn’t see him clearly because the room was so dark, but I knew he was there in front of me. Matt left the room, but I knew he’d be back. I tried to sleep a little bit and just wait for it to be brighter outside. I needed my strength if I was going to bust out of here.

I woke up and saw that the room was quite a bit brighter. Finally, it was morning. I sat up and looked around at my surroundings. Then I saw Matt sitting on one of the chairs I used to stack up to the window but now, they weren’t stacked on top of each other.

“Tried to escape I see…” Matt said.

“Why did you kidnap me and bring me here?” I asked.

“You want to know why I kidnapped you? Because I want to see you happy.”

“What are you talking about? I am happy?”

“No, I want to see you happy... with me.”

Just then the door burst open, and I couldn’t believe who I saw standing there…