15

We were done with that little journey, and now we were just on a boat trialling the coastline. It's been days, and my foot has been getting better, but the truth was I knew I couldn't be any help to the group anymore and they needed to pick up gas. So we were approaching the shore so they would run out and get some.

I've been thinking about the conversation we had in the bayou, it got me really thinking about a relationship with Ellis. Would I even want one? We're barely surviving a day at a time, and it's usually me getting hurt so my time might be ticking and my luck will be draining. I figured that if I have one more close encounter I might be done for. I've been killing tanks by accident, and I've been the one getting strangled by the infected.

Leaning against the boat we all made it on, I looked towards the land and seeing that the entire place was filled with water and it seemed flooded. I worried that I was gonna die, and imagine what the death would feel like.

Ellis seemed to walk up to me, doing the same thing I wasn't leaning against the wall of the boat. "Hello, Darling." Ellis said, tipping his hat to me. "You look perdy' today." He compliment, I didn't react to everything only just kept staring at the shore we kept getting closer to. "You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, yeah... just thinking." I told him.

"Bout?"

"You can't really date anybody in the world today, without having the constant fear of them dying." I looked at the water, seeing my murky water reflection looking back at my eyes. "Or infected." I added.

"Well... that's just the real world." He told me as I looked back at him. "You don't know when's the last time you going to see your wife or husband walk out the door, that's why you got to make the most of it now." Ellis spoke calmly, rubbing my back. "Do you like anyone?" Ellis' eyes looked like a confused puppy's. Making me smile at him, and brush my hair back behind my ear.

"Just... one." I laughed a bit as he perked up.

"L-Like who? Is it Nick? It better not be Nick." He hit his hand on the boat's railings. "Nick's such a dick to ya'."

The boat approached a little dock, is everybody stepped on the poop deck. "I'll tell you after you get back... be safe."

"I promise, for you. Just please don't let it be Nick, or don't want to be Coach. I don't think you like you in that way, and I know one guy that loves you and that way and I think it's going to be a really great couple thing going on if you accept him-"

"Francis." I spoke with a lie, seeing his head turn back to me with a snap and anger in his eyes. "I'm joshing!" I giggled. "Come back safely and you'll know." I told him as they all got off. "You'll know as soon as you step one foot on this boat again." I smiled, seeing jumping off, and getting back on. "Not like that you dumb." I added, and he was disappointed. "Ellis, be careful with the special infected, I'm not there to hog em' all." I told them all but mostly him. He nodded, and they all went on their way.

I held my heart as the boat owner went back to sea with me and waited for a signal.