Chapter 26 - Thoughtful Desires

"Thoughts are but dreams till their effects be tried."

- William Shakespeare

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face as Sans climbed into the back seat with me because as hard as he tried, he couldn't hide his worry. He always got so anxious when he had to separated from me, and I could always tell in the way he pressed closer and held me tighter, his hand never letting go of mine. As Grillby drove us to school that Monday morning, I tried to reassure him that everything would be alright, but he didn't seem to be feeling any better as his thumb absentmindedly caressed the back of my hand almost as if tracing the red blotches that stained my skin there. I was sure that he was worrying of who could get to me while he wasn't there, but I knew better than to think that I wouldn't be alright with my group of friends around me.

Even as he climbed out after me, I could tell that his eyes weren't on me but were rather taking in our surroundings as if scoping out for any possible threats, but such an action only brought a giggle to my lips. My laughter, in turn, caught his attention as he turned to look down at me, taking note of the amusement in my eyes as he raised his bony brows questioningly. He had no idea what was so funny. He had no idea how silly he was being.

I wrapped my arms around his middle, so very grateful that Grillby had parked instead of going through the carpool line fully because it allowed me this time with Sans, and he seemed to really need the reassurance. Now that I had his attention, I intended on keeping it until he felt better as I tipped my chin up to look at him properly and smiled, assuring, "I'll be alright, Cherry. You worry too much."

Sans, however, simply shook his head slowly as if he wasn't really surprised by my words but that he still didn't agree with them. He seemed so bent on being the one by my side, and while I certainly would have loved for him to have been able to, it wouldn't be an option for a while so he would have to do what he could. His red eyes seemed thoughtful as they gazed down at me before he turned to look at Fuku who had come to stand next to us and requested, "Watch out for 'er, won't ya?"

"You know I will, Sans," Fuku replied easily with a slight frown as if slightly offended that he even needed to ask as she rolled her eyes towards me. Her reaction earned a smile from me because she was right. He didn't need to ask. I knew they would have my back and make sure nothing happened. I turned back to him and tugged him closer, placing my chin on his shoulder as I teased lightheartedly, "Maybe we shouldn't get into so many fights then..."

"Rosy..." He started, but I only shook my head and gave him one last squeeze before reluctantly letting him go as I took a step back. There was nothing that he could tell me that I didn't already know was part of his reasoning, and he didn't need to explain himself yet again to me anyways. He was the way he was because he wanted to keep me safe. He was the way he was because he cared, and while I could certainly do without the violence, I did love the way he was. I smiled at him and lifted my hands up in an invitation that he gladly accepted as he leaned forward to place his head in my hands. With his face in my hands, I gently tugged him forward and gently pressed my lips to his teeth in a gentle kiss meant to share much more than just my reassurance of my own safety or to ease his worry. It was to also share my adoration for him and remind him how much he meant to me no matter how far away he was.

It wasn't a very long kiss, but it seemed to be just long enough as he visibly relaxed, and I heard him sigh against my lips. As much as I wanted to stay with him like that, I had school to attend while he would have to ride back home with Grillby, so I stepped away from him and reassured, "I'll be home before you know it, Cherry. I promise."

"Mhm..."

I rushed up to him before he could react and kissed his cheek before quickly departing to join Fuku and Chara where they were waiting for me as I called out to him, "Bye, Cherry!"