Chapter 24 - Nightmares

"It will have blood, they say; blood will have blood."

- William Shakespeare

I wasn't prepared for what was presented before me...images to be burned into my mind and words that would echo through my skull no matter how untruthful they were...no matter how imagined up they were...I woke to a sight I had never wanted to see again and thought I never would see again: the same view I had every morning waking up back in bed at the orphanage. No, that wasn't right...that couldn't be right. I had turned eighteen and took Frisk out of that awful place with me when I left...right? I just stumbled to my feet and looked around to find that everything was normal, but that didn't mean nothing was out of place or that reality wasn't contorted. Everything was as my mind thought it should be, but something still felt wrong about me being back there. I just couldn't figure out what it was. That was until I came out of the boys' room straight into the playroom and saw a familiar face that always managed to bring a smile to my face without even trying. I approached Frisk as my hand found her hip, tugging her closer as I greeted, "Mornin', Rosy."

The way she looked at me was so unsettling as her brow furrowed together, and she turned to face me while taking a step back. As confusing as her actions were, her words were the most painful as she looked at me almost completely baffled as she asked with gentle concern, "Sans? What's wrong? You should know my name is Frisk by now." It was almost like I had never called her that a single time in my life, when I clearly remembered calling her that on multiple occasions, even kissing her afterwards. Her eyes, while clearly concerned for my health, held no more affection than she gave to everyone else. They were warm, and I could just as easily fall into her gaze and get lost, but there was no love for me there, no affection...and it broke my heart.

"Rose, what are ya talki--"

"Sans...Are you okay?" There was only worry in her eyes and concern in her voice as she stepped towards me and pressed the back of her hand against my forehead as if to check me for a fever, but it only drew a soft growl of irritation from my throat. I snatched up her wrist--gently, of course--and stepped towards her with a simple statement, "I ain't sick, Rosy. What's wrong with you? What's goin' on? Yer my girl, and yer bein' all squirrely."

Frisk blushed heavily, but her brow furrowed together even further as her confusion level increased exponentially, and she opened her mouth to say something in response, but she never got the chance to respond to me. A shadow loomed over the both of us, but I felt my soul shatter when she flashed someone else the smile she seemed to always reserve just for me as this someone approached me from behind and leaned over to growl very close to my head, "Hey, Sans, whatcha doin' with my girl?" No, no, no. I knew that voice. This couldn't be happening.

"Hi, Azzy!" Her voice was so chipper as she greeted him, her smile never ending as she bounced over to him excitedly...like she did to me, but was I just remembering things wrong? Had everything between us just been a dream so I could wake up, and my life could be a living nightmare?

"Hey, babe," Asriel greeted as he leaned down and kissed her. My eyes darkened, turning into empty sockets as I stumbled back away from them, horrified and heartbroken that he had actually kissed her, and she had actually reciprocated, but I was still so confused because what we had couldn't have just been a dream...could it?

"Rose, I--"

"Sans, get with the program. I don't know where this sudden burst of affection you have for her came from, but it needs to stop. She's mine, ya hear me? Mine."

I couldn't just leave it like that or let her go so easily because she had been all that I had so I reached for her, wanting to hold her again, wanting to kiss her again just like I had in that...dream...but this was no dream. It was a nightmare, and a hard punch to the face from Asriel made sure that I not only knew what this reality was but also knew my place and that it was certainly not with his girl. I heard Frisk cry out in alarm, still being the sweet and kind girl that she always was and always would be as she rushed to me, her voice music to my ears even as I slowly faded into darkness listening to her call my name in worry because when it came down to it, her caring at all for me was almost enough for me because I would always do whatever she asked of me...and I told myself I would even if she asked me to let her go...