4

The cat looked half starved, I think that was the only reason it decided it was a good idea to jump on my back.

I jumped away from the two children before bucking to sling the cat off.

Pain flared in my back as the cat's claws dug deeper and reopened the wounds from the stablemaster's whip.

I could feel it trying to bite the base of my neck, I gave a final buck before it flew off with a yowl.

I spared no time in charging after it, I felt the arrow fall out during my pursuit and I could feel the blood starting to flood out.

When the cat was out of sight, I turned back and headed back to the waterfall.

The two children were still cowering by the rock. One was a boy and the other a little girl, the boy was older than the girl, but not by much.

I bowed my neck, putting my head to be eye level with the two.

The girl slowly reached out and touched my nose, I exhaled deeply, causing her to giggle.

I kneeled down, it seemed to take the two a minute.

"I think it wants us to get on," the boy said.

I nodded my head at him.

The little girl wasted no time in hopping on, the boy wasn't far behind.

I stood back up and walked over to the waterfall, taking a few gulps before I headed down the path.

It took a bit longer than it should've due to my injuries; so after walking for a few miles, we came across a field.

There was a large, two-story building with a woman sitting on the porch holding a bundle to her chest.

She jumped to her feet as soon as she noticed us enter the clearing.

I folded my ears back, I walked a bit more cautiously towards the house.

"Lila! Cooper! What are you doing?!" she exclaimed as I got closer.

"She saved us from a mountain lion mom! Can we keep her? She's hurt," the boy called.

The woman looked at me puzzled, "I'll call your father, go put her in the barn,".

I kneeled down and allowed the children ot slide off, wincing as they rubbed against the bites and scratches all over my back.