Chapter 17

I rushed into my car.

"no...No...NO! WAIT! CHELSEA! CHELS WAIT UP! PLEASE LET ME EXPLAIN!"

Psh. Chels. How dare he call me by that name.

My sudden drift to move the car lead to a huge noise and Leon chasing behind me.

I glance towards my side mirror. Leon ran but he started to slow down and stop. He seem tired but his look...he had that look that usually comes across someone's face once a lifetime.

"CHELSEA"!

I woke up from my thoughts. As I was wondering why he called my name again, I realized there was an incoming truck in front of me.

Right after, it was a blur and turned dark.

-beep- -beep- -beep- -beep-

I slowly wake up from my slumber. The sight of light directly hitting my eyes made my eyes sting. I closed my eyes again.

"--sea...chel---...Chelsea---CHELSEA"!

Mom? I opened my eyes in shock. I see my mom, all saggy and wrinkly as usual with that grandma sweater. Translation: she is young but will gain wrinkles with that worried expression. Plus I don't like the top she is wearing.

"Oh dear. Oh dear Chelsea. My only daughter. What happened to you?"

A boy. That's what happened." I muttered under my breath.

"What is that sweetie"?

"I was driving recklessly. Don't worry. I'm fine now".

She have me the oh-poor-thing face.

I tried getting up but I couldn't. I just couldn't. I used all my effort to get up but it didn't work.

"See, honey, your legs, both of them...lost feeling. Your legs are paralyzed and the doctors don't know when you will recover."

We were left with silence for a while.

My head was a mess. How did this happen? why did this happen? why the legs?

Then Leon came to mind.

That son of a bitch. Why did he have to be back in my life. All because of him.

The silence cracked with my cries. My mom came closer for support. All I can do is move my arms. I hit the bed as hard as I could, knowing I can't do anything with my legs.

My cries went on for about a couple of hours. As my mom tried to calm me down, she started to cry. Her cries silenced me. I don't want her to cry. It's bad enough she went on trips and work to hold the family.

"Sweetie...do you...need anything"?

"...yes. Mommy I'm hungry."

It's been so long I have addressed her mommy and asked her something I needed.

Right when she opened the door to exit, Leon barged in. Mom just glanced at him and walked away, knowing it's useless to question him and she wants to fulfill my needs.

He approached my bed and say on the seat my mom previously sat.

"Hey Che---"

"SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP. DO YOU KNOW. WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. TO ME"?

"Chelsea. It's ok. I contacted the driver of the truck. Your car was completely damaged. So he will pay up for a new one. I got all his contact info. So it's ok---"

"IS THAT ALL YOU CARE ABOUT RIGHT NOW"?

I took a breath.

"Of course that's all you are going to say, you conceited little bitch!" I mumbled this part under my breathe.

"Listen Chelsea. If you can give me a chance to---"

A CHANCE TO WHAT? FUCKING EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED BACK THERE? A CHANCE TO CHEAT ON ME EVEN MORE? JUST GO AWAY! GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE! GET OUT! Get out...I ... I don't want to see you anymore."

I was hitting him until I had no more strength. At a point I gave up and all I did was cry.

Leon gave me a back hug. At this point, I was too weak to resist.

"The doctor....the doctor said...I may not be able to walk anymore..."

Leon let go of me.

"What? what do you mean?"

"I can't walk anymore. Both of my legs are paralyzed".

He looked at me with eyes that show he is really concerned.

He got up and walked away from the bed. Leon paced back and forth across the room, then punched the wall.

Even though that didn't startle me, I began to cry again, quietly.

My mom entered the room with kimbap and beef curry with rice. She knows (surprisingly) I'm into Korean food.

"Here you go sweetie. Eat everything up."

I thought she would question about Leon. I went straight to eating.

"Who is that guy..."? Boom. She asked. My mom whispered.

Stupid as I am, I said "my ex" out loud.

Leon heard it and introduced himself.

"Hello Chelsea's mother. My name is Leon. I am Chelsea's boyfriend. Please to meet you".

My mom was puzzled. I wasn't surprised because she misses out mostly all the important events of my life.

She have me the he-is-hot look. All I did was roll my eyes.

"I will take care of Chelsea. You must be busy Chelsea' mom. You can trust me. I will treat her gently."

My mom agreed immediately and exited the room. As she was leaving, she smiled and have me the thumbs up.

I sat there, on the hospital bed, helplessly.