(4) Do Not Breathe

DEEPEST DESPAIR

==========================

 Gabrielle York

==========================

Dedicated to Giana Resse York

==========================

(4) DO NOT BREATHE

Rayla was walking down the stairs and heading towards Mr. Amiece's study when she heard a conversation going on quietly near the second floor. The conversation sounded urgent and even though Rayla could lose her job, she listened eagerly.

"Are you insane?" somebody whispered.

"No, not yet. But listen and listen carefully son. We need Ava out of that school. If she reaches it, she will ruin all of our careful planning. Do you understand ?" another voice whispered.

At this point Rayla panicked. Thoughts of what they could mean surrounded her head . She had to get out of here with out looking like she was eavesdropping. Rayla decided just to run. She jumped a few steps before someone grabbed her arm and pulled her back. Rayla was under the stairs where the conversation between the two strangers began. She started to freak out and tried to scream but somebody put there hand over her mouth.

"What all did you hear Miss. Rayla?" the stranger that previously was talking asked.

Rayla looked at the young man's face and deep into his blue-yellow eyes. She pointed to his hand that was covering his mouth.

"Oh. Promise not to scream?" The man asked awkwardly searching Rayla's eyes for any hesitation.

She nodded, and his hand fell. The boy was still pushed up against Rayla and smirked when he noticed, then pushed away. "Well, um Sir... I heard you and someone else talking about getting Ava out of that school. I want in." She replied her voice shaking while she feigned confidence.

"You want to help me get Ava out of a school that could or could not be a good idea because..?" He asked amusement clouding his words.

"Look, I am Ava's my friend. I can tell you don't wish to harm Miss. Ava." Rayla spoke.

"And how can you tell?" He questioned looking a little dumbfounded.

"I just can ok? I was going to request I go with Miss. Ava, to Master Amiece. Anyway so please let me help." Rayla pleaded pointing her shaking finger in his face.

"As you wish Miss. Rayla." and with that the stranger was walking away.

"Wait!" she screamed after him running to catch up to him.

He stopped and looked at her. He smiled and spoke, "Levi."

Rayla stood there and watched as Levi turned around and disappeared into the hallway. "What in the world?" she questioned her hands hanging loosely by her sides.

~~

"Help! Help! For the love of all things holy, help!" somebody screamed, through the trees.

Ava was standing in the middle of a clearing in a deep misty forest. "Who's there?" Ava screamed to find the voice. A loud piercing, glass shattering scream echoed from the trees. Ava immediately began running towards the trees. Twigs were digging into the soles of her feet as she ran, occasionally jumping over small logs and such.

Ava, stopped and rested against a tree trying to catch her breath. All was silent except for her heavy pants and pounding heart, which were simply bouncing off the trees.

CRACK! Ava stopped breathing instantly and turned around searching for possible danger. Her eyes darted through the trees, but still she found nothing. Seeming safe, Ava lowered herself onto the bottom of the ground against the tree.

Somebody grabbed Ava's arm and placed another hand firmly on her mouth. The stranger whispered, "Move or talk and you will be dead. Hold your breath when I tell you and do not under any circumstances think."

Ava was confused and contemplated whether or not she should lash out. For some odd reason though she decided against it. So Ava stayed still and cleared her mind.

"Do not breathe." the stranger spoke again, against Ava's neck.

Ava stopped breathing and waited. Out of no where a faint sound of hooves pounding against the forest floor erupted through out the forest.

"My darling! Ava! Where are you? I know your alive! I know..." the man on the horse cried. He was bloody and bruised, broken and shattered. A few moments later he began retreating on his horse further into the woods.

Ava was nearly a shade of dark purple from holding her breath so long. When the man spoke, "Time to die." He spoke as he covered Ava's mouth and pinched her nose.

Ava panicked but eased into the calm state taking over her entire being. "I never thought of death as peaceful," she thought, " but I wish... oh how I wish... I would have." Dark had engulfed her and she began to fall helplessly to the ground

~~

"Ava! Are you all right? Ava?" Rayla's voice rang through Ava's ears.

"I'm fine. What's wrong?" Ava sat up from her bed immediately regretting it as her head pounded and her bruised stomach ached.

"You were screaming," Rayla responded lightly pushing Ava's forehead causing her to lay back down, "I figured your father was hurting you... so I ran up here." Rayla's face scrunched and she shook her head as if she was debating in her mind on something. "Listen I need to tell you something... "