Chapter 26

"Maya, you know you're making a really big decision, right? Donating a kidney isn't an easy process. Especially from someone of your age" my dad informs.

"I know what I'm doing dad. I've done my research and I want to do it. I want to save someone's life"

"Why don't we take you to see a doctor tomorrow and we will see what he advises? How about that?" my mum suggests.

"Alright, tomorrow then I guess"

I head back up to my room, seeing I had received a text message from Joel.

'Can we talk? I'm already outside your house'

'Well, if you're already outside of my house I don't have much of a choice, do I?'

I head downstairs and tell my parents that I'd just be with Joel outside. Opening the door, I see him leaning against his car, scrolling through his phone and looking like a real Mexican hunk. How did I ever let this man go?

He hears my footsteps and looks up straight away.

"You came" he smiles, putting his phone away.

"Of course I did" I nervously place my hands in my pocket.

"Look Maya, I didn't really need to talk to you. I just wanted to see you. When I heard you went missing, I couldn't sleep for days. I couldn't focus and I just couldn't go by my day knowing you could have been in danger" he says.

"I just needed to clear my head I guess" I replied looking into his eyes.

There was a short period of silence before I had spoken up again.

"So anyway, where's Amber? I'm surprised she isn't on your tail anymore"

"I broke up her with her. Management wasn't happy about it but I did what I had to do" he replies.

"What? Why?"

"Because... I got bored of her"

Is he serious?

"Oh" I looked down in disappointment.

Not the answer I was expecting.

"I'm kidding Maya. Look at your face" he busted out laughing.

"You're a jerk!" I punch his arm, causing me to let out a smile.

"Do you really want to know why?" he asks again.

I stayed silent waiting for his reply.

"I'm looking at my reason right now" 

After he had said that, it felt like nothing in the world mattered anymore. We had become lost in each other's eyes and all I wanted now was to be held. I wanted to be held by Joel and I wanted him to tell me everything was okay.

I looked down, shuffling my feet in the grass as I was now back to being nervous. Feeling like a complete idiot.

"Hey, come here" he pulled me close to him as I let all my emotions pour out.

He was finally holding me and I was finally holding him. Tears began to stream down my face as my head was resting on his chest. Taking in his scent, I shut my eyes, preventing tears from coming down.

"It's ok" he kisses the top of my head, beginning to rub my back.

What did I do to deserve Joel? He's always been there for me; no matter how many time I'd push him away, he'd always find his way back to me and I wouldn't take that for granted anymore. I gave up on him so easily but he didn't. I let Amber ruin us but he didn't.

"I'm so sorry Joel" I managed to say in between my sobs.

"Don't be" he replies as I pulled away, wiping away the last of my tears using the sleeve of my shirt. "But Maya".

"Yes?" I ask looking up at him.

"Promise me you'll never leave me"

He sounded serious and somewhat upset too.

"I promise I'll always stick by you no matter what" a smile forms on both our lips.

Without hesitation, I lean up on my tiptoes and place a soft kiss on his lips.

9:43 am

Yesterday was the day Joel and I had gotten back together and I had made a promise to myself and him, that I wouldn't do anything to screw this relationship up and vice versa.

"Babe you really didn't have to come along you know" my fingers were intertwined with Joel's as we made our way inside the medical centre.

I was here to get tested by my doctor to make sure I was eligible to donate my kidney to an elderly person; more specifically Mr William. But, Joel doesn't know that.

"I know, but I've been away from you long enough. You'll need to try harder to get rid of me" he replies with his cheeky little smile.

I checked in at the reception while Joel was still standing next to me.

"Hi, I'm Maya Francis. I'm just here to see my regular doctor. Is he in today?" I asked the lady at the reception who was sitting behind the desk on a computer.

"Yep, let me just get your date of birth" she types away.

She had looked up at me, then at Joel. Her eyes would not leave him, she was staring at him like he was a piece of meat.

Control your hormones lady, he's like half your age.

"Have a seat he won't be long" she smiled at him as I rolled my eyes and dragged Joel away, holding his hand and not letting go.

Every now and then, she would glance at him and flash a smile.

"Do you believe the nerve of that woman?" there was anger and a hint of jealousy in my voice.

"What happened?" he asked looking at me.

"Joel Pimentel do not play games with me right now" I give him a death glare.

"I'm joking, I did notice what she was doing but I don't care. I've only got eyes for my girl, which is you" he leans down to peck my lips as I giggle.

My hand still intact with Joel's.

After fifteen minutes of waiting, my name was finally called out by my regular doctor who I always go to for any issue. I was about to stand up and leave Joel behind but I changed my mind last minute.

"You know what, you're coming with me" I grab Joel's hand again and pull him up from his seat, making sure that man stealer was nowhere near my man.

"Maya, good to see you again" he says as we both entered his room.

"Good to see you too" I smiled, taking a seat.

"Now, what can I help you with?" he asks.

I explained the whole situation to him and why I wanted to donate my kidney to a gentleman.

"As your doctor, I can't stop you from making your own decisions, but what I can do, is advise you and tell you what's best for your health in the future. I understand that you want to save a life but donating a kidney has its negative sides as well"

"I understand and completely respect what you're trying to say, but I did do my research and donating an organ is something I really want to do, and I believe it would help save Mr William's life. Why let him die early if there is a way to save him?" I say.

"Maya, you do realize that if you donate a kidney at this age, the healing process after surgery won't be easy. You'll be needing a lot of blood and it will be painful"

"I can always have a blood transfusion, can't I? I mean, if I even do lose blood during kidney transplant surgery" I tried to reason with him.

He looks down, sighs and then looks back up at me.

"If your remaining kidney fails to work, it can lead to death"