Chapter 12

"Thanks for that" I grab my wallet out of his hand before shutting the door and not daring to make any eye contact with Joel.

"Your room. Now" he strictly instructs as we headed up back to my room as Joel followed quietly behind me.

As soon as I had entered, Joel had shut the door behind me harshly.

"Quit it Joel, you're going to break my door"

"I don't care. Go sit down" he points to the bed as I stood in front of him.

Letting out a sharp sigh I take a few steps back until the back of my knees were touching my bed, then slowly sat down not breaking eye contact with Joel.

"What was that about?" he asks intimidatingly crossing his arms.

"I was at the mall and forgot my wallet. That's all"

"Is that why your own ex-boyfriend came and had to return it to you? Out of all the people at the mall?" he continues as his tone was starting to get louder.

"Can you quiet down? And no, he just happened to be there. Chill"

I was also starting to lose my temper. Who does he think he is raising his voice at me?

"Just happened to be there? Or you just happened to be seeing him behind my back? Huh Maya which one is it?"

As much as I hated him right now, I have to admit; angry Joel is hot Joel. I was going through fifty different emotions within this one minute. I wanted to yell back at him and straighten him up with facts but at the same time, I wanted to just sit here and adore this beautiful human standing right in front of me. I zoned him out and my attention was now in my thoughts. God damn he was so hot I could just teach him a lesson myself.

"Maya! Hello? I've been talking to you!" he yells snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Who me?" I asked still amazed by the view that was in front of me.

I'm a teenage girl, I have hormones that mess with my brain and I have inappropriate thoughts. So what?

"Yes you. Answer my question. Why was he at the mall at the same time as you?"

Coming back to reality I realised I was letting myself being scolded by my own boyfriend for something I didn't do. Now I was back to being mad.

"You know what" I stand up to let him know I was no longer inferior to him. "You have no right to talk. You're the one who's out there with your fake YouTuber girlfriend. Did you ever think for once that I-"

"Don't Maya. This is different and you know it" he interrupts.

"No Joel you listen to me" my finger came in contact with his chest hitting it hard enough to shove him back a little. "I have feelings too ok. I know I said I would be patient but it's too hard for me. You belong to me and me only. Do you know how hard it is for me to see my own boyfriend out there with someone else while I have to sit back and watch it all happen in front of my eyes" my eyes were now beginning to water up and I realised my finger was still on Joel's chest.

Joel doesn't say anything except looks towards his right shoulder in guilt. My words must have hit him hard this time.

He takes my finger in his hand and rubs it

"You're right. I'm sorry, I'll see you later" he steps back letting go of my hand and exits through my door looking down.

Leaving me standing there in my room alone and filled with guilt. Why did I have to do that? Joel has been nothing but nice to me. Real question is; did I hurt him or did he hurt me?

"Hey you ok?" I look up to see Ingrid entering my room.

I sat back down on my bed, looking down at my hand and fidgeting with my fingers.

"What happened?" she asks softly placing an arm around me.

"I think I messed up" I replied not looking up.

"Look, I'm not going to lie. I think I know what this is about. Amber and the whole Joel thing right? It's bothering you isn't it?" she asks.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Trust me. I can read you like a book, and can I be honest? You're my best friend and I hate to see you so hurt"

I nod my head looking up at Ingrid.

"I think you should take it easy on him. In all fairness Maya you did tell him you were okay with him fake dating Amber. He asked you and you agreed. There's no need for you to bring that up everytime you make a mistake just to make Joel look like the bad person"

Whose side is she on?

"But, I also understand your point of view. It must be exhausting having to put up with this. All I'm saying Maya is that you need to give him a break and be patient. You might be hurting now but, in the end, it will be all worth it trust me".

"What did I do to deserve you?" I pull her into a hug and think about what she had said.

She's right; I did tell Joel I was fine with it. I did tell him I would be patient for him. What's wrong with me? After she had pulled away, she gave me a reassuring smile.

"Well, I should get going. Call me if you need anything, and don't stress. If it's really bothering you then talk to your dad about it. He lives to manage CNCO and if I didn't know any better; I'd say that's an advantage for you and none for Amber"

I thanked her for her company before she headed out the door.

7:29 pm

I was currently having dinner with my parents and it was in complete silence. All we could hear was the utensils hitting the plates.

"So, Maya, tell me. How was your day?" my mother asks as she looks up at me.

She noticed all I was doing was shoving food around my plate with a fork and I was deep in thought.

"Fine I guess" I reply back looking up at her. "Hey dad?"

I was going to do it. I was going to tell my dad how I felt about this whole Joel and Amber situation.

"Yes?"

There was a long pause before I got the courage to speak up.

"I just wanted to ask, will you be attending the Grammy's?"

Way to go Maya.

"Yes, actually and so will you. Although you won't be walking the red carpet as Joel's date"

Yeah, no kidding dad. As if I didn't know that before already.

"Oh ok" that was all that had left my mouth.

After dinner when I had finished cleaning my dishes, I headed upstairs back to my room revealing eight missed calls from Ingrid and hundreds of text messages.

'I don't care where you are but girl, drop what you're doing and jump onto Amber's YouTube channel. You have to see this'

Reading Ingrid's message, I did as she told and hopped onto her YouTube channel revealing a recent video Amber had posted.

'Storytime: How I met my boyfriend from CNCO'