Phone Calls, Friends, and Fantasy

"Boys! The food is done, are the-"

Cordelia froze, horrified at the scene before her. Everything was a mess, chairs flipped, red staining almost every corner. She turned to the culprits, and not knowing what else to do, she walked out.

This has to be a mistake, she thought

So, she turned back to the room. After walking in again, she found her husband and son on the floor and Sam sat atop the table, licking the sticky substance from his fingers. She screamed.

"I WAS GONE FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES! Where did all this frosting even come from?!?"

Her husband and son stayed on the floor in pleading positions, speaking over one another about mixing, dye, one thing leading to another, and if there was more it wasn't even in English at that point.

"Enough! I don't care how, but I want this place cleaned. We have to eat off this table!"

She cried as her two boy's nodded, apologizing profusely. Then, she turned her head to the newest member, who still happily licked the red sugary dye and frosting from his hands. As he continued to eat from his appendages and the small piles that littered the table, Cordelia sauntered towards him.

"Ahem."

At the small noise, Sam picked up his head towards the red-haired woman. She went on, stern and expecting.

"Is there something you'd like to say?"

Sam let his eyes slowly fall towards the pile nearest to him, his head following. Not quite understanding, he grabbed a small plastic mixer and picked a bit of frosting up before offering her the spoon.

"Want some?"

She couldn't help it, she was a mother and stern, but she broke. The soft scowl turned to a full grin as she laughed at the sugar coated boy and took up the offer. After taking a small taste she hummed happily.

"Okay, I kinda get it. Still, this is a mess isn't it?"

He looked around and smiled as he nodded.

"It's delicious."

She fought back the chuckle, shaking her head as she carefully picked him up and placed him on the floor. She looked to her husband, raising a brow at the equally covered boy next to him.

"Draw them a bath, it seems I will be cleaning this mess." She huffed.

"I promise, I'll set the table when they're clean and I'll make whatever you want for dinner next time." He replied, kissing her cheek and picking up the boys.

Bringing the two up the stairs, Jin took a good look at them while turning into the bathroom. It was in their hair and all on their bodies. It was to the point where they had been calling themselves cupcake monsters. Jin shook his head as he put the boys down and wiped them of the big globs of tge sweet substance. Starting the water, the two undressed, only needing a little assistance due to slippery frosted fingers having a problem with buttons. Once ready, the two hopped in the tub, happy to be rid of the sticky feel the frosting caused. After a moment of getting bubbles and pulling stickers off new bath toys, Jin's phone rings. It lights up and shows the caller ID: Aphmau S. He  looks over at the kids with a smile.

"Alright, I'll be right back, I've gotta take a call. Okay? You boys gonna be fine till then?" He asked in that way that makes any child laugh and nod.

And they did. Jin steps out of the room and answers.

"Hey, how have things been?" He asks.

From the other end of the call, Apmau's higher voice responds.

"Good? I think... the guy you sent is a bit... excitable?"

"Yea, he's a handful sometimes. He means well."

"Oh no, I know!" She inserts "He's not bad, he's been cooking and helping keep house. He's just very... happy. Like, loud and excited happy."

Jin grins as he continues through the phone, "I know, I know. He hasn't had a place for a bit. Him and his had a fight so he stays in his office. Nothings happened though, right?"

"No actually. It's been calm, not including Barney's big personality. But he says he's got some newses- I mean, news."

"Alright, thank you. Could you put him on?" Jin laughs a bit, knowing Barney's accent is a bit contagious.

He hears some shuffling and a soft call of Barney's name. Over the phone, the voice is now gruff and more heavily accented.

"Jins? Is thats you?" It asked.

"Yes, it's me, Barnabe. What's the 411?" Jin replies.

His voice laced with laughter, but grew a slight serious.

"Alrighties, then. Now, I lookeded into the kids's background. He's having had 10 or 12 babysitters. Most quited, but one was the fired. Ays young British boy bys the named Grian. He tried tos make a report, but is clear that it never wented through. I ams also noticing this was around the same times the police gotted new patrol cars. Seems a bits off to me. Do you want me to sees him or do you wants that honors?"

Jin turned into the bathroom for a moment to see JJ and Sam playing happily. To see his sons playing. He smiled before turning away and responding.

"You know what, I'll see him myself. Text me his address and I'll see him tomorrow. Thanks again, Barney"

"Don't sweating it. You do fors me, I does things for you. Laters friend." He said, before the call ended.

Content and strangely determined, he went back to the boys and helped them wash up.

After a few more minutes, they were out, dried, and dressed in fresh clothes. Sam was a little surprised that he'd had clothes of his own, but loved the blue long sleeve and shorts anyways. Maybe cause he matched JJ, though his was a short sleeve. They went back down and enjoyed dinner with Cordelia who had mentioned they'd had enough sugar for one day and would get cupcakes tomorrow. Sam nibbled at the mashed potatoes and chopped carrots but quickly found himself full from the frosting he had eaten. When the rest of the family had finished, Cordelia wrapped his plate and stored it while Jin brought the boys upstairs. Sam and JJ were placed down in a large room with toy boxes, dressers, and a bunk bed. JJ half hopped into the lower bunk and, before Jin could help Sam up, Sam literally hopped up to the top.   After a story, Cordelia came up to tuck them in with Jin. With a peck on the head, Cordelia bundled the blankets around him and even tucked in his bear. She whispered in his ear just before she stepped down.

"I love you, Sammy."

Once Jin had finished tucking in JJ, the two turned off the lights to reveal light up space themed stickers littering the ceiling. Just before the door closed, both boys looked at them. The warmth and glow of the hall light making them look like shadowed  figures, the sweet smiles, and the love from their faces- it was perfect.

"Sweet dreams, boys." Cordelia whispered.

Jin followed suit with a gentle, "Night-night."

Only JJ replied as Sam seemed too in awe to speak.

"Night mom, dad."

And with that they left. JJ went right to bed, but Sam stared at the ceiling. He'd never experienced this. This wholesomeness. He'd never sat at the table like that. Never been in the company of someone else so long without yelling or fighting. Not in the longest time did he get a story or an 'I love you' before bed, or even been put to bed in a while. This was finally sinking in. It was a fantasy to think. He could hardly believe it still. This was his bed, his life, his family!

This was his world now...

With those sweetest of thoughts, he smiled as he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep. Tomorrow was another day, a day he'd be happy to awake to.