Empowerment

"Come on!!"

Sam had been crying out that same phrase every time the snack lady brought up another deal on candy or popcorn. Jin, falling for a few deals, now had a jumbo popcorn and 4 candy cup 'n stuffs, a cup that held candy and caramel corn as well as the drinks. JJ was just as anxious and Cordelia actually had to pay before the lady brought up another deal. She dragged Jin to the theater and handed the ticket guy the tickets. JJ and Sam found there way to the right movie and led the adults there, grabbing seats in the middle. It was a new movie, Finding Nemo! Sam was excited the moment he saw the popping colors. They sat down and Sam quietly watched as he mindlessly grabbed popcorn. Apparently they all had done the same as the bucket was empty by the end of the movie. Once they got up, the boys began discussing the movie, specifically how cool the sharks were, even repeating the motto over and over.  Jin couldn't help but, smile. His son and Sam, who was like his son, were acting like best friends and even brothers. Cordelia then called the boys attention.

"Boys! Are you still hungry?"

They both spun around nodding vigorously. A laugh in her voice, she proposed a solution.

" How about we got to a Domino's before hitting the arcade?"

They both high-fived and ran over to the couple. Jin pointed out the nearest Domino's which wasn't too far away, since they were going on foot. Jin tensed as the whole way people stared as JJ and Sam played and laughed in front. He slowly crept closer and picked up JJ, hiding is intent to protect with a smile and laugh. Cordelia, seeing Sam 'left out', picked him up as well. The boys still talked from both parents, but now looked at them, making them get in on the conversation of animated fish. They got there quickly after that. Jin sat them down and asked what they'd like. JJ and Sam were both wanted Mt. Dew, but the toppings were different to say the least. JJ wanted pepperoni and Sam...

" Do they have carrots as an option?"

Jin chuckled at the inquiry.

"No, I don't think so."

Sam nodded and confidently answered.

"Then I want extra cheese and broccoli."

Jin agreed on plain cheese for him and Cordelia. The waitress came and wrote down the order, but Jin noticed the continuous glances at Sam. Before he asked her if there was a problem she darted towards the front and pulled of a sign. Jin caught a glimpse and prepared for the worst as it read. 'NO RABBIT HYBRIDS ALLOWED'.  The waitress came back over and asked Sam a question.

" What topping did you want?"

Sam replied the same and the waitress shook her head.

"What did you want?"

Sam spoke without looking at her, but looked at the menu.

"Well, I wanted carrots, but there's no-"

"Don't sweat it."

And with that she left. She was quick to return with drinks and the orders. Jin was surprised to see carrots on a 2 slices of pizza. She smiled as Sam lit up and thanked her as he started digging in.

"No problem, little buddy."

Jin watched as a larger man came in and seemingly scolded her. The woman suddenly turned and stood on an empty table, catching everyone's attention.

".... A few weeks ago, a law was put in place for the protection of Rabbit Hybrids because it was clear that the species was suffering more than we could imagine. They were denied basic necessities and services that were free. They were run out of parks and diners, even if they had payment. The law states that we are to REPORT verbal and physical brutality to a Rabbit Hybrid, even if it's a SIGN."

She held out the sign from the door.

" The assistant manager insisted that the sign be put up to preserve our reputation. He just yelled for taking it down, apparently he doesn't know the law. Right there, is a little boy, a hybrid. Is he bothering any of you?"

The full diner said no or shook their heads.

" Should a little boy be denied entrance with friends and family? Should I tell him to leave because of who he is?"

A more powerful no was united.

" Then should this sign even have ever  been put up?"

A rousing no filled the area and soon became a chant. Jin watched as another man came out, brought the girl down and spoke to the prejudice man, who may have just been fired. The man, possible manager, got the crowd to settle down.

"Apparently, within my absence a few mistakes were made, mostly on my part for failing to see the intent of an employee. This has been rectified and this pizzeria is now open to anyone and everyone. If that's a problem, you can leave now."

The diner cheered and Sam looked around smiling with dewy eyes. He may not understand prejudice or discrimination, but he knew hate, he knew it all too well. Seeing so many people be devoid of hate, devoid of any of that brought such a happy feeling deep in his chest. He knew they were sheering for the whole species, but he somehow felt special. After they finished the waitress came back with their bill. Jin had to ask.

"Thank you, for taking down the sign and the speech, but... Why?"

She giggled looked at Sam and took of her hat. Jin went wide eyed as he saw large, red, fluffy fox ears on the young lady's head. She spoke sweetly.

"Us Hybrids... We gotta stick together, right buddy?"

Sam smiled, wiping a few tears as he nodded. The lady laughed and held out a fist which Sam bumped. Jin smiled, thankful that Sam would soon live in a world he could be free in. He went to pay and noticed the bill only showed his and his wife's order. The lady held up a hand.

" I already got it, manager's orders."

Jin smiled and hand the woman a $10 tip. Her mouth dropped.

"Sir, ten dollars?"

Jin nodded.

"You're right, what am I thinking?"

He then handed her a twenty.

"Sir, I can't possibly-"

"You can and will, you should my son a good person and gave him hope."

The woman smiled, thanked them and let them finish. Jin was happy until they got up, ready to leave. Sudden panic came over him. A group, specifically the group who left, was waiting outside.

This can't be good.

Hey Readers,

Hope you liked this chapter! The next one is probably going to hit a bit of a turner.... heheh...

Anyway, hope you enjoyed, thanks for the support and remember the schedule to keep up with the story.

Over and Out.