Sam's new friend

Sam and Dr. Jin laughed and played got hours at a time before he ever, if ever, got to any questions. He'd ask simple questions when he could, yet it was on a more getting-to-know-you basis.

"How old are you?"

"Three, I'm turning four soon, though!"

Jin looked shocked a moment, he was sure with Sam's vocabulary and size he'd be at least a smarter than average five-year-old.

"Really?"

Sam looked up from his coloring book with a blank expression, almost... disappointed?

"I'm a rabbit hybrid, sir."

Immediately the Doctor found himself foolish, he had noticed his ears one or twice, but they were always down. Goods big curly hair didn't help.

"Samuel?"

"Yeah, doc?"

"Why are your ears always down? Do you feel sick?"

Same head went down.

"No, sir. Not technically."

" 'technically' is of no interest to me and medicine, Sam. What is wrong? "

Sam's eyes watered. That's all he wanted. For a listening ear. He began to hiccup, trying to stop his sobs.

"Sam, buddy, let me help. Tell me, what is troubling you?"

He burst.

"EVERYTHING!"

Jin who had been drawing closer jumped back and watched the not holler his woes.

"DON'T YOU GET IT?! I'M A RABBIT! A WORTHLESS VERMIN THAT PLAGUES THIS WORLD! NO ONE COULD CARE FOR ME MORE THAN DIRT! I'LL NEVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT! MY LIFE IS LAYER OUT AND IT SCREAMS MY FAILURES OF NOW AND THEN! I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO CHANGE THAT!"

Infuriated himself, Jin got up. This was not a child's words! So why are they his woes?

"Sam who told you this?"

"Does It Matter?!"

Moving back towards the young boy, Jin grabbed Sam's shoulders, kneeling. His sobs just slightly lower.

"Yes, Sam! Yes, it does, because you matter! Not just to me-"

"YOU'RE A LIAR!"

"WHAT ABOUT STANLEY?"

Sam looked into the man's eyes.

"AND THE DOCTORS WHO REFUSED TO TURN YOU AWAY?... And me, Sam..."

Sam's hiccups came back add he choked on his sobs. He looked at the floor.

"You don't care. You're just a doctor. You're paid to help-"

"That's not true-"

"Yes, it is!"

"And what about the ones who gave up? The cowards that feared their failure. Did they help?"

Jin pulled the boy's chin up, so he'd face him.

"Sam I don't have to care and sad to say I don't have to help... But I do, I'm one of the few who tries when others just drop it all. I care Sam..."

After hearing this, Sam latched on to Dr. Jin and apologized over and over. That night, Jin stayed later than normal. He stayed until it was time for Sam's curfew and did something that Stanley, who was watching the whole ordeal start to finish, was shocked at. He read Sam a story and tucked him in. Just as Jin was halfway to the door, Sam sat up.

"Goodnight mister Jin"

"Goodnight Sam, sweet dreams."

Sam went back down and for the first time since the incident (role credits?) Slept soundly.

Well, I hope you guys enjoy this. Sorry for the shorties recently I wanted to go down this path and already know what I want, but it felt like this is where this chapter should end. Sorry if you wanted more, tell me and I'll try and deliver! Well, night readers, pleasant dreaming~
Over and out......

(-go your lights, seriously it's 9:20, It's nap time-)