What Will Happen?

Jin stayed in a seat in the corner, near Sam, for around 25 minutes. He'd been convinced he ran out of tears because he saw the tragedy, he sees Sam's state, yet.... Yet, after all of it, he suddenly felt nothing. Not sadness, anger, relief, nothing. He did feel one thing, though. He felt an indescribable heavy cloud weighing on his body. Dr. M.D stayed with him to make sure Jin didn't break down and do something he'd regret. After the silence buried M.D wanted Jin to understand something.

"You know, he is not as he appears. Even if he was, he wouldn't wake up for-"

"I know..."

M.D was taken back by the emptiness of Jin's voice. It was cold and weary and ominously quiet.

"Then, you're sure you're going to-"

"I will stay... for as long as he needs me."

M.D placed a hand on Jin's shoulder.

"He's in good hands I assure you."

Jin's voice didn't change when he spoke, it almost appeared rude.

"Oh, I'm sure he is... But, nothing is going to stand in my way for making sure of that."

M.D opened his mouth, but closed it with a huff. As far as he knew this was a father just worrying for his son.

"I'll be back later, if not me then my nurse."

Jin nodded in his direction, but his eyes had glued themselves to the floor. The moment the door closed Jin stood up. He knew not to get too close, but that doctor wouldn't trust if he even got up. He stood just two feet from the bed, watching the steady up and down of Sam's chest. Something about the consistent rhythm against the unmoving room was calming to Jin. He wished Sam's eyes would open though, he had a lot of questions. After a half an hour Jin heard the door knob and quickly sat back in the seat. The nurse came in just to check on Sam to make sure he was breathing normally. She let it slip that he had, in fact, stopped breathing several times when he was unstable. The steady breathing became Jin's new priority to watch for. The nurse let Cordelia come in with JJ, under observation, after an hour passed. JJ quickly walked to his father's side. Jin smiled and picked him up, letting him sit in his lap. The boy was clearly tired, but worried all the same. Cordelia went next to Jin and as he looked up, she lightly pecked his lips and rubbed his shoulder. She asked, her voice was a bit better than Jin's.

"How's he been?"

"Good."

Jin coughed because he hadn't talked in just about two hours. Cordelia held her hand over his.

"That's good, right?"

Jin nodded, looking down as his son yawned.

"Sam's gonna be okay, right dad?"

Jin looked at Sam and nodded, smiling for his boy.

"Course, he's not going to go down easy, he's a fighter."

JJ nodded before saying something, both humorous and saddening.

"I know.... I saw."

Cordelia moved a seat next to Jin and let JJ fall asleep in her arms. She noticed Jin bouncing his leg, a telltale sign that he was thinking of something.

"What's wrong?"

Jin  shook his head, but Cordelia wanted to support him.

"Jin, honey... What is it?"

Jin let out a deep sigh, putting his hands over his face.

"What do we tell the cops, Cordelia?"