He's Waking Up

back.t.up

Eddie: Who are you, really?

(maybe)Richie: you know, i would tell you again, but im kind of starving over here and this phone can only connect to contacts that belong to phones that are in its generation. i would have called someone else by now if they had ancient phones like the one your mom got you. 

Eddie: Im gonna tell you something. I waited until midnight to text you because I was hoping 'he' would be asleep just so I could tell you these two things.

(maybe)Richie: well im glad you did. its gotten really lonely here.

Eddie: One, Im afraid to believe you because if I do, then Im going to get my hopes up on finding you. If I get my hopes up and you arent who you say you are, then Id probably kill myself. Definitely kill myself. Two, Im afraid NOT to believe you, because if I dont then what if you really are Richie and I leave you to rot because I didnt take a chance? If I did that then I probably wouldnt kill myself, but only because I would deserve to live with that guilt forever. Death would be a gift at that point.

(maybe)Richie: dont ever talk about killing yourself

(maybe)Richie: if you killed yourself then i wouldn't have anything to come home to. you are literally all im living for right now.

Eddie: If youre really who you say you are, then what am I supposed to do? Where are you? What do I tell the police?

(99.9% sure)Richie: hes waking up

Eddie: what does that mean

Eddie: Richie?

(99.9% sure)Richie: you called me richie

(99.9% sure)Richie: thats all i can ask from you tonight, eds

(99.9% sure)Richie: i have ten seconds before he gets in here, ive counted it so many times. just know that i miss you, yeah? ttyl, spaghetti

Eddie: Richie? What the fuck is going on, where are you? Oh my god.

Eddie realized it would probably be best to stop texting, in case Richie's alerts were on. He didn't want to get the boy killed, especially not since he was seriously beginning to consider the fact that it might actually be him. He knew he shouldn't be getting so hopeful, but at the same time, he wanted so badly for it to be true. He wanted to go to that horrible, rotten house on Neibolt Street and check it out for himself. Richie would never let him do that.

dont come looking for me

Eddie got up, shaking off his exhaustion. He grabbed his portable charger and fanny pack, plugging in his phone and dropping it inside. He zipped the pack shut tight and made sure his shirt went over it so that it was hidden and it wouldn't get caught if he had to go under the fence again. He decided against using the stairs because last time he tried to go up those when returning from his search for Georgie, every single one had creaked. He didn't want to risk waking his mother.

Instead, he pulled Richie's gargantuan sweatshirt tighter around himself, inhaling the familiar scent of his best friend. A few tears threatened to spill, but he blinked them away, slipping on his red shorts. Richie told him they were too small, but it was summer, it was hot, and he was wearing a sweatshirt. Plus, if everything went well, nobody but Richie would see Eddie anyways.

The boy climbed out of his window, his mother's shrieks of terror ringing in his ears, even though she was inside the house and sound asleep. He took a deep breath when he reached the ground, puffing on his aspirator once, twice, then a third time just to be safe. After all, if what Dr. Keene had told him was true, it wasn't real medicine anyway. It couldn't hurt him.

Eddie set out, climbing onto his bike since the car would wake up Sonia. He followed the street lamps to that street, Neibolt Street, where the house stood tall and proud against the night sky. He figured he ought to do something like what Richie had done, so people knew where to look if he got taken. So he took out his phone and snapped a picture, writing a quick caption and disabling the comments before putting his phone back away and facing the house. There were only two ways in which he would ever let this end.

Either he would find Richie and bring him home safely, or he would die trying.

0 likes

0 likes

eds.the.spagheds: I got my hopes up.

———

Comments disabled.