Twenty-One

Walking to class the next morning butterflies swirled in my belly causing my nerves to sky rocket. When I saw him waiting on the opposite side of the corner, everything settled falling back into place. Kian, stood alone, wearing a goofy smile with a cup of coffee in each hand. "What are you doing here?" I called walking to meet him.

"Felt I could use a little sunshine this morning. And, I thought you might enjoy some caffeine," Offering me one of the cups.

If only he knew how badly I needed the cup of coffee he was offering. He wasn't familiar with my usual choice. But, it still tasted good, hitting all the right spots to help me relax. We walked together a few steps before he took my hand, lacing our fingers together. I noticed since meeting mom he grew much bolder.

"I finished the painting I was telling you about," He smiled excitedly, shaking our joined hands.

"Great. I'd love to come and see it." I smiled, feeling the excitement spread from his arm to mine through our joined hands.

"Yeah, defiantly. I'd like that." He almost sounded shy at thought of me seeing his work. Which made no sense. I've seen his tattoos, proving how talented of an artist he is.

"This is me," Pointing to the door leading to my creative writing class.

Turning to face me, our hands still twined together, "Wait for me? So I can walk you to math class?"

"Sure. Where?"

"Um, outside. I'm only two buildings over so you won't have to wait long," Giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

Just as he leaned in to kiss my cheek, two things happened simultaneously. First- Ryder chose that moment to walk out of the class on my right. Second- Miss Ass Whisperer chose that moment to enter the hallway on my left. Leaving us sandwiched between them. Awkward! I screamed internally.

She paused beside us, her judgey eyes raking over Kian from head to toe. I wanted to say something, but, decided it was best to bite my tongue. Ryder promised last night he would fix things. And, I agreed to trust that he would, so this was me trusting him. However, he better follow through and put her in her place. If not, I couldn't promise that I'd stay quiet if I was put in this same scenario again.

"Morning Kian, Rylan," Ryder forced a smile into place.

Taking a sip of coffee, "Morning," I said cheerfully. Kian only affording a slight nod.

"I should go." He smiled, pressing another chaste kiss to my cheek. "See you in a bit." Choosing not to release my hand until the last possible moment, stretching our arms out until it was impossible for me to hold on any longer without moving.

Once the three of us were alone, Ryder checked the time before stepping closer, bringing the three of us into a huddle. "We have a few minutes before class starts," Shoving his hands deep into his pockets focusing all of his attention on Sadie. "I need to clear something up real quick. I should've said something Friday, but, for whatever reason I didn't." He took a deep breath and I noticed his jaw muscle working under his skin as he searched for the words he wanted to say.

"What is it, Ryder?" Her voice poured like syrup from her glossy lips, eyes blankly shifting from him to me.

"I just wanted to make it very clear," He moved, standing so close to me that he invaded my personal space. And damn it did he smell good while doing it. "That Rylan," wrapping his arm around my shoulders protectively, "Is my very, very best friend. Like 'the' best friend in the whole world best friend. For instance, if someone were to be rude to her," He paused taking a deep breath, his eyes closing to help regain his composure. When they opened I'd never seen them blaze more fiercely. "I would be very rude to them. Actually, no, rude doesn't even begin to describe the way I'd treat them." His voice deepened, "Honestly, I'd completely dislike the person, and do everything I could to make them feel triple the hurt they dared cause her."

"Of course." She purred, her hand raised to cover her chest, "I can totally respect that since you're besties. I would never be rude to, Rylan. I hope that her and I, can become close friends," Her voice all sugary sweet making me feel gross and sticky.

Rolling my eyes, "Whatever," I mumbled shrugging away from Ryder's hold on me. Silently, I nodded to him before leaving them to finish their discussion alone.

I had to give kudosto Ryder. He did a pretty fantastic job at making his point. Not sure MissSugary Sweet heard a word he said. But, he did say all the right words. Itwasn't his fault if she was too self-absorbed to listen. Suddenly, I felt muchlighter than I had only moments ago. Today was turning out to be pretty great.Even for a Monday.