Twenty

"I love your mom," Chloe boasted wiping down the counter.

"You only love her because you didn't grow up with her. Imagine trying to lie to that," I laughed wiping my end of the counter.

Leaning against her end, "Ok, I see your point." She giggled. "She's still amazing. She pulls information from people without them even realizing it. I'd love to have her skills."

Rolling my eyes, "Yeah, dad hates it. He's not been able to surprise her for years."

The bell jingling had both of us straightening, "Afternoon, Ladies." A sickly Bailey, shuffled to the counter. "Thanks again for coming in on such short notice." Coughing, she pulled a tissue from her sweater pocket blowing her nose. "Both, Gretchen and I, are sick." She admitted between coughs.

"Yeah?" Chloe's face wore pure disgust, "All of us will be sick if you don't take your germy ass home."

"I know, I know." Shuffling behind the counter, "I must have left my cell phone in the office." Another coughing fit shook her whole body.

"You could have called, I would have brought it to you," Chloe told her taking several steps back, "I don't have the time or the want to be sick," She warned.

"Ok, Ok," Bailey rushed into the back.

"Yuck!" Chloe groaned wiping the area of the counter where Bailey was just standing.

"Thank you again." Bailey shuffled past us. "I owe you a Sunday off."

"It's fine," I called before she reached the door. "I need the hours anyways."

"Me too," Chloe echoed.

Waving good-bye as another coughing fit hit her, she pulled open the door exiting quickly. Instantly Chloe was spraying the handle with disinfectant. "Ugh, could you imagine those two working last night? No wonder we've been so slow today. Everyone's worried they'll catch their germs."

Laughing I finished wiping down the counter. "Word of mouth probably travels fast in the city," I teased.

"Like the plague," She grimaced taking her rag to the back to grab a fresh one. "Have you talked to, Ryder?" She asked starting to wipe down tables.

Following her, "Nope. He texted a couple of times yesterday. But, Kian and I spent the day together."

Pausing, both hands resting on the table she was wiping down, "You really like him?"

"I do," Stopping to meet her gaze.

Straightening, hands resting on her hips, "He seems nice. A little clingy maybe."

"But...?"

"But," sighing deeply, "He's not, Ryder. I've pegged you two as a couple ever since that first night at the taco joint."

"Really? We didn't even know each other then. And, you've never told me that."

"Yeah, but you flow." Her arms waving like they helped explain what she was saying.

"What? We flow? What does that even mean?" I moved to wipe the next table.

"You know," arms waiving again, "You two flow. You know what the other's gonna do before they do it."

"We do not," I laughed watching her arm waiving explanation.

Shaking her rag at me, "You do. I'll point it out sometime. It's kinda of interesting to watch."

Thinking her analogy sounded far-fetched, "You do that." I laughed as I finished wiping down the last table.

"I'll lock up," She called from the front, flipping the sign on the door before lowering the blinds.