Sixteen

The tiny bell jingled alerting her to our arrival, "Morning." I greeted Bailey, happy to see there was no line.

"Morning Ladies, what brings you in so early? Shouldn't you girls be in class?"

Chloe's head dropped avoiding eye contact. "I'd like you to meet my mom. Bailey, this is Emily." I interjected hoping to sway her attention from Chloe.

From the few talks Chloe and I shared about her aunt, Bailey was a stickler when it came to Chloe and college. It was part of the stipulation of her staying rent free in the apartment above the shop. If Chloe slacked off, their agreement would change, and Chloe would have to move in with Bailey. She never spoke of her parents, and I got the feeling there was something deeper there. I just wasn't sure how deep.

"Nice to meet you." Mom stepped from behind me shaking Bailey's hand. "Very cute place." Mom turned checking the shop out.

"Nice to meet you, Emily. Thanks." Bailey smiled, "So, what can I get you ladies? It's on the house."

"Really?" Chloe questioned heading straight to the display case.

"Within reason," Bailey joked, knowing Chloe's secret addiction to Macie's muffins.

Gathering our drinks and assortment of muffins, we found a table near the back. "You gonna fill me in on why you're home so early?" Mom asked as soon as she was seated.

Chloe, being the coward she is when it comes to parental figures, shoved her mouth full of muffin. "I ran into Ryder," Hoping she'd leave the discussion at that and move on.

But of course that was wishful thinking, "And..." She pressed.

"I had a few words with the girl he's thinking about dating."

"The one you don't like? What happened?" All of her attention focused on me.

"Not much. We exchanged a few words." I really didn't feel up to rehashing the whole mess.

Mom watched me for a moment before turning her gaze on Chloe. "I know she told you. Spill it," She ordered taking a sip of her tea.

"Uh," Nervous green eyes shifted to me. Giving her a small nod to continue, Chloe sat down the muffin she'd been devouring before turning to mom. "The girl got snotty with Rylan. Accused her of lying about knowing Ry. Then tried to embarrass her by calling Rylan out in front of Ry when he stepped in. Ry ended up introducing them and told her Rylan was his best friend. I've not had the pleasure of meeting her, but, I've heard she's a real piece of work."

Mom nodded listening, "Ok?" Looking at me, "So, why do you look like someone kicked your puppy? Sounds like Ryder cleared everything up," Taking another sip.

"Sadie, that's her name," I started, hating the way her name felt rolling from my tongue. "She sits beside me due to assigned seating. It came out today that I knew Ry," Leaving out her filthy talking background seemed best. "She pissed me off, looking at me like I was scum. Like I was beneath her. Then trying to make it sound like I was lying. Ry, cleared that up, but didn't address the way she was acting. Or, the way she was talking to me. It made me mad. If the tables were turned, I'd have handled it differently."

"Did you tell Ryder how you felt?"

"Hell no. I told him to handle his business and left," Rolling my eyes, picking at one of the muffins as a distraction.

"I see. I think you need to talk to him. You shouldn't bottle up your feelings. You know it will only make the situation worse," Glaring as she relaxed in her chair.