Nineteen

The four of us stood outside the restaurant waiting on Brax. When mom returned earlier, she informed me that she'd have to leave tonight. All the partner's at the firm were taking on a new client. And, all she could say, was she had to be back in her office first thing tomorrow morning. Her assistant already changed her flight to a red eye flying out tonight.

Chloe wanted mom to meet Brax. So by luck, he was able to get tonight off so he could join us for dinner, since our breakfast plans would have to be cancelled. Chloe, ecstatic everything was able to work out, while mom, seemed pleased that Chloe was so happy. I couldn't believe how quickly they'd hit it off. Usually it took mom a while, if ever, to warm up to anyone.

"So you're Kian?" Chloe gave him a quick once over. "Nice to meet you, I'm Chloe," Offering him her hand.

"We've met, just not officially," Grinning as he shook her hand.

Looking at him more closely, "We have? I'm sorry I don't remember."

Waiving her off, "No biggie. Like I said, not officially. I go to the coffee shop sometimes," Stealing a glance at me.

Stifling a giggle, remembering his less than stellar review of my grouchy friend, "I think he ran into you on a few of your bad days," Clarifying for her.

Chuckling as understanding hit her, "You know, I've been told I'm a completely different person outside of work," She winked. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Good to know. I'll keep that in mind going forward." Kian grinning, laced our fingers pulling me closer to his side.

"You guys should go ahead," Chloe announced, "There's no point in all of us standing her freezing." She had a point, the temperature had dropped dramatically this evening. "Brax should be here any minute."

"Are you sure?" Mom asked surveying the crowed street.

"Yes. Go get our table. I'll be fine."

Mom surveyed the area again, "Ok. But keep your phone in your hand, and stay close to the entrance." It was funny to see her mothering Chloe. Chloe nodded, holding her phone up to show her she had it.

Thanks to mom's phenomenal negotiating, we were able to get reservations for a Japanese Steakhouse I'd been dying to try. When we entered, we were quickly ushered to our seats. And before we finished taking off our coats, Chloe and a very out of sorts Brax appeared.

I let Chloe handle the introductions once they were settled into their seats. "Brax, that's Emily, Rylan's mom," Pointing to the head of the table. "That's Kian." I'd taken the seat to mom's right and Kian beside me, where Chloe currently pointed.

"Nice to meet you Emily," He nodded shyly. "How's it goin', Kian?" Kian gave him a quick nod before opening his menu.

"Glad you could join us Braxton." Mom smiled, studying him for a moment before exchanging a sly smile with Chloe.

It appeared these two were up to no good. And my assumption was proven right when Chloe noticed me watching, rushing to hide her sly smile. Now, innocent jade eyes begged me to keep their secret. Smiling, feeling sorry for poor Brax, oblivious to what he was in store for this evening.

Laying my menu on the table I heard mom, "Have you been here before Braxton?" Smiling sweetly just like the night before with Ryder, it didn't appear she was wasting anytime. Already starting on Brax.

"Um, no ma'am," Averting his gaze back to his menu.

"Please, call me Emily. Do you like Japanese food?"