Thirteen

"That lady is smaller than you and she scares the shit out of me." Ryder whispered feverishly once she left us to find the restroom.

Flashing him an 'I told you so', before returning to the menu. "You should have believed me."

"You said- Mean. Over-protective. Nosey." Ticking off each word on his fingers. "You never mentioned- Crazy. Scary. Methodical. I'm pretty sure that tiny lady has planned my death, and how and where to dispose of my body."

Trying hard not to laugh at the wild artic eyes shifting between me and the isle. "I tried to prepare you. But you refused to listen. Next time you'll listen when I tell you something." Spotting her in the distance I rushed to finish my warning, "When she starts her next round of questioning." I swear his skin paled two shades. "Be honest. The woman can detect lying and bullshit from a mile away." Lifting my menu ending our conversation.

Gliding into her seat, she opened her menu. After a moment, "So, Ryder, you've been here before?"

Holy smokes, she's starting already? I thought she'd at least wait until we ordered. I wish I'd had more time to prepare him. Her stellar questioning skills would probably have him running, screaming how crazy she was the whole way. The woman could get answers from a dead body, I swear.

"Yeah. The steaks are amazing," Smiling politely. I tried giving him a warning stare, to let him know she was starting round two. But, all of his attention was placed on my mother.

Laying the menu down, she laced her fingers, resting her hands on top of it. "So you come here often? Pretty fancy to frequent daily."

"Um, I wouldn't say often," Shifting in his seat.

I knew my mother. Her line of questioning could be ruthless. Did I mention she's a lawyer? Actually, a damn good lawyer. I wanted to warn him. Trying to kick him under the table, my foot reaching nothing but air. My stupid short legs weren't long enough to reach him without drawing attention to myself. The round table they seated us at had us sitting too far apart.

"Huh. It must be really amazing to leave such an impression after say... A couple visits?"

Finally his dumb ass looked at me. Mentally, I tried conveying that this was the start of round two. I don't know how he got my silent message, but, I knew he did when I notice his shoulders relax. "This was my dad's favorite place. When I was younger he used to bring me here at least once a month. Sometimes more. Now that I'm older, I hardly have time."

"Too cool to hang out with dad? Or too busy to spend time with family?"

Swallowing, his eyes found mine. "Actually, he passed away a few years ago. I'd love for him to still be around," Meeting her gaze, "So I could spend time with him." His head dipped towards the table.

My hand flexed against the table cursing the distance between us. This was something personal. Something he hadn't shared with me. My heart wept for him, for the fact that he was forced to share this by her prying questions.

Her hand instantly covered his. "I'm so sorry Ryder." Her tone told me this was my huge-hearted-caring-mother. Not the in-your-face-cold-as-ice lawyer.

Shaking his head, "Thank you. It's fine. Really."

Patting his hand gently already her gears shifting. The woman was a tiny well-oiled machine. Thank the lord of fate, our waiter appeared to take our orders. At the very least it would give Ry a chance to breathe and clear his head.

As soon as our orders were placed she started again. Fingers laced resting on the table, "Tell me about yourself Ryder." Straightening her back, "I assume you and Rylan attend the same college."