Eight

Sitting alone still swaying in my seat, I decided to allow my glassy-eyes to do a round of crowd surfing. I noticed a few girls from some of my classes. It was kinda funny to see how different people looked when they went to a bar, verses when they attended class. Lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice the stranger shuffle in close behind me. An unfamiliar voice, too close to my ear shocked me almost knocking me from the stool.

"Whoa." Awkward hands grabbed my waist helping to steady me. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Circling around until he rested against the table across from me. "Aren't you in my math class?"

Blinking glassy eyes, trying to focus, "I'm not sure." Willing my hazy brain to catch up. "You kinda look familiar."

"Yeah. You're the girl in the front row. Rylan... Right?"

Shocked that he knew my name, "That's me," My interest peaked by the bold stranger.

"I was going to talk to you after class today, but, you disappeared." A mysterious smile slid into place before taking a long gulp of his beer.

Ok, so maybe the alcohol induced haze had my brain working slower than usual. But, I honestly had no clue what he could want with me. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

Resting his elbows on the table, eyes boldly raking over my face, leaving a trail of heat behind, "I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Kian." Again with the mysterious smile.

Our eyes met in a standoff of sorts, before I could speak, a guy from a couple of tables down yelled his name. When he turned his head to see what the guy wanted, I used the distraction to my advantage, studying him closer. At first glance, I found a boyish face, highlighted by warm honey brown eyes, a mysteriously sexy smile, accented by a strong jaw line. Focusing, my second glance, I quickly changed my mind, replacing boyish with brooding. My change of mind confirmed, when strong arms partially bared by rolled sleeves came into view covered in intricate tattoos. Which if that didn't scream brooding artist nothing did.

Turning his attention back to me, "Sorry," He apologized flashing a set of pearly whites.

I swear his smile was one of the biggest I'd ever seen. But not in a bad way. It wasn't like he had horse teeth or anything. "No worries." Suddenly feeling shy, I began picking at the label of an empty beer bottle in front of me. "Nice to meet you Kian," Voice full of shyness.

From the corner of my eye I saw Ryder returning carrying two beers. The look he wore had me taking a double take. It was a look I hadn't seen on him before, and if I had to guess, I'd say he was pissed. Eyeing him questioningly as he moved in beside me, "Thanks," Accepting the beer he sat in front of me, angry eyes fixed on Kian, ignoring me completely. Confused by his change of mood, I turned peering towards the bar to see if Brax wore a matching scowl. Had something happened between them?

"Sorry man, I didn't know she was taken," I heard Kian say pulling my attention back to the table.

Wondering if I'd missed something, "What did you say?"

Warm honey eyes found mine before quickly bouncing back to Ry. Taking a half step back from the table, "I was telling him, I didn't realize you were already taken," Nodding towards the grouchy figure standing beside me.

"Taken? What?" Damn alcohol haze. Finally my slow ass brain caught up. "Oh, no... you're wrong. We're just friends," I chuckled, motioning from me to the ridge statue beside me.

I detected my words registering when his brow raised, calmly waiting for Ry to agree. Emotionless words poured from his lips. "I'm Ryder. Her friend." His last word caught in the awkward tension hovering between them, making Kian pause.