Twelve

Mom refused to let us pick her up from the airport. Ryder offered, but, she was being stubborn as usual and insisted on taking an Uber. Since Bailey gave me the entire weekend off, mom would only have a couple of hours alone on Friday morning while I went to classes.

My plan to stick to Ry like glue cracked a little when he told me about his two tutoring sessions scheduled for Saturday morning. Determined to have minimal, to no alone time with mom, I arranged for us to have breakfast with Chloe and Brax. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom. For the past few years I would have lost myself if it wasn't for her. But, that doesn't erase the fact that I learned when I was young, if mom's mad, you keep your distance. And knowing she's traveling from multiple states away to come lecture me in person, well, let's just say I'm not stupid. This trip equaled no alone time for us. Period.

Growing up, my parents were always present in my life. They supported every stupid-smart-crazy thing I ever wanted to do. If I were to describe them, I'd say... Caring. Honest. Open minded. Mix that with a bit of fun, and you've got my parents.

Which let's face it, all parents are embarrassing. I think it's a hidden secret in the parenting world. But, by some grace of fate, mine didn't go out of their way to embarrass me on purpose. Instead, they gave me room to make mistakes. Taught me how to grow from those mistakes. And, how to move past those mistakes.

During my senior year I tested all these things. Fun times turned to stressful situations. The stress morphed to crippling anxiety. And mom slid from parent to best friend seamlessly. She helped significantly with my recovery and forged a bond between us that would last an eternity.

"Rylan? Stay with me." Blinking Ry's waiving hand into focus. "You ok?" Standing before me, both hands resting gently on my shoulders.

Taking a deep breath, "Sorry," I blushed, "Trying to remember if I've covered everything." Nibbling nervously on my thumbnail.

Stepping back laughing, "Are you serious? You've planned everything except conversation and bathroom breaks," He teased.

Smacking his shoulder, "Shut up. I'm not that bad."

His jaw dropped in shock, "That bad?" Serious artic eyes leveled me. "You have an escape plan in case your mom can't sleep."

Fluttering my lashes innocently, "What can I say?" Smiling slyly, "I like to be thorough." Both of us laughed.

Hearing the buzzer silenced me instantly. Already, nervous butterflies bounced to life filling my belly. Smashing the button harder than necessary, telling her I'd be right down.

Grabbing my hand and spinning me to face him, "It's gonna be fine." Flashing his crooked smile accompanied by his heart melting dimple, and just like that the bouncing butterflies began hibernating.

She had me wrapped in a bone shattering hug before I could get the downstairs door fully opened. "I've missed you," Holding me at arm's length examining me.

"I've missed you too." It felt good seeing her. "Come on." My brain kicked in reminding me we were alone. Pulling her towards the stairs, "There's someone waiting to meet you."

Silently following me up the stairs, we found Ry waiting beside the sofa. "Mom," waiting until she closed the door and turned facing us. "This is Ryder. Ryder, my mom Emily."

He stepped forward extending his hand. "Nice to meet you, Emily."

Witnessing an edgy Ryder had me struggling to hide my giggling. This skittish uncertain side of him was one he hardly ever showed. And damn it if it wasn't cute.

Her eyes narrowed, shuffling between his face and out-stretched waiting hand. Giving me a cold glance, she side stepped around him as if he had the plague. Could she be anymore blatantly rude?

Before I could start she placed her bag on the table, hands squeezing her hips as she turned to face us. Ry's eyes flashed to mine before letting his hand drop to his side.

"If my memory is correct," Her eyes narrowed on him again, "You're the one that helped my daughter get shit faced." Tapping a finger to her lips, "And then finished the night off by keep her out all night," Arms crossed tightly over her chest.

"Um..." Eyes bouncing from her to me and back.

Taking a step forward, "She can't help you. So you're wasting your time looking at her."

"Yes." He answered, deflating under her stare.

"And what about you?"

His brows pulled tight with confusion. "Sorry? I don't understand."

"Mom." I tried cutting her off. This line of questioning was ridiculous. I'm a grown adult. And last I checked, so was Ryder. I understand her concern, but honestly this was taking it a bit far.

Pointing at me, "I'll get to you in a minute." Silencing me like only a mother could, "What. About. You." Pronouncing each syllable slowly. "Did you get yourself shit faced in the process?"

"No ma'am," Shaking his head with each word.

Her arms crashed to her sides as she stepped closer. "So. You were trying to take advantage of my drunken daughter." It wasn't a question.

Eyes wide, "No ma'am. We... I... Friends."

Holding up a hand to stifle his attempt to find the right words, "I know. Rylan already told me your friends." Her eyes roamed over him disbelievingly. "We'll see."

Finding my voice, "Mom, stop it." He didn't deserve her relentless line of questioning. This had to stop.

"What?" Her head swung to me. "I'm just trying to gather all the facts. I feel I deserve that much." Hands back on her hips, "Or, should I remind you? Me sitting miles away, worrying about my daughter. Praying she's alive and ok. Since two grown adults," Using air quotes, "Can't seem to figure out how to answer a cell phone."

Well shit. When you say it like that, we sound like idiots. "I told you..."

"Shhh," Silencing me mid-sentence. Turing back to Ryder, "Let me be very clear," Her words velvety smooth. "You've gained her trust. Not mine. If you hurt her, or, allow her to get hurt during one of your so called drunken escapades, I. Will. Find. You. And trust me when I say, you'll wish I hadn't. I've dealt with a lot worse than you. Are we clear? Ryder?"

"We are crystal clear ma'am. But..."

"Good." She relaxed, clapping her hands cutting him off. "Next time I won't be so calm." Zero to a hundred was how quickly her mood shifted. Smiling brightly at both of us, "I'm starved. Where should we eat? My treat." Warm sparkling hazel eyes danced between us.

Ry sighed in reliefbeside me. The guy probably thought the tiny lady was crazy. I know I didsometimes. Clearing my throat, "We'll go wherever you want. You pick," I toldher, still trying to catch up with her mood swing.