Four

Waking up I quietly went to peek at the sofa finding Chloe still fast asleep. Tip toeing to the kitchen I started the coffee brewing while I went to take a quick shower.

Dressing quickly in a pair of running shorts and t-shirt. I went to pour myself a cup of coffee. No sooner than I sat down at my usual spot at the bar, her groggy voice had me almost jumping from my seat.

"Rylan? Don't you own any blinds?" She whined.

Giggling, I watched her squint as she shuffled into the kitchen. "Mugs are above the coffee pot," I told her while she steadied herself against the counter.

Pouring herself a cup, "How much did I drink?" Turning to rest her hip against the counter.

"I'm guessing a six pack, maybe more. But, you drank it in such a small amount of time."

"Did we text, Brax?" Her voice building strength from the warm liquid soothing her sleepy throat.

Shaking my head swallowing, "We were going to, then you passed out. Your phone locked before I got back to the table."

Sighing, she planted herself in the seat beside me. "Looks like he texted three more times after I passed out." Unlocking her phone. "He must have been drinking too." Holding her phone up showing me the misspelled messages. Her thumbs moved at lighting speed tapping away on the screen. "Well, let's see if he's up for talking." Placing it on the counter she picked up her mug taking a big drink.

"I'm sure he'll jump at the opportunity. The real question is, do you want to talk?"

"Ryder made some good points last night. I'm gonna take his advice and ask Brax to fill in the gaps. Then, see what my gut tells me." She shrugged, spinning her seat to face me. "In case I didn't tell you, thanks for listening. I've not really clicked with any girls here. I've met a lot of really nice people, some a little fake, and a few I'd call acquaintances. But none I'd consider friends. Until you showed up by some odd miracle and BAM, we just kinda click. I know without a doubt I can trust you."

"That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me. For the record, you can trust me. All your secrets are safe with me, promise." We sat in silence finishing our coffee.

A little later Chloe left, mumbling something about a hot shower and a nap. I used the rest of the morning to clean up the loft, and do what little bit of laundry I had. Mom called in the afternoon just as I finished cleaning, to give me her version of a pep talk. Over and over, she assured me my first day would be great. Something I'd remember for a lifetime. After she finished I told her about my new friends I'd met, and how much I enjoyed working at the coffee shop.

Realizing the time, I apologized, rushing her off the phone so I could get ready to meet Ryder for our dinner plans. Before hanging up she made me promise to text her when I was home safely. I agreed, instantly tossing the phone on the bed.

I just finished pulling on a clean t-shirt when I heard the buzzer. Glancing at the clock, exactly 4pm., making a mental note that he did not share my tardiness habits. Speaking through the intercom, I told him I'd be down in a minute. Dashing to grab my phone and shoving it into my purse, making sure not to forget to lock the door in my frenzied rush.

"Thank goodness." I chuckled locking the yellow door.

"For what?" He smiled, waiting beside me.

Pointing to his pants. "I was worried I'd be under dressed."

Noticing both of us wore the same track pants, only mine were the girl version of his. Wiggling his brow. "Good mind's think alike."

We fell into step beside one another walking a couple of blocks in comfortable silence. It was nice having someone to relax with, that didn't make me feel awkward during the silent moments. Especially since I found it hard sometimes to keep up a constant conversation. I guess I'd always been kinda boring, so I usually ran out of things to say.