Chapter 12

I walked into school the next day expecting the worst, but it wasn't so bad. I came through the double doors and the next thing I knew a crowd of people were huddled around me, shooting at me with questions.

"Harlow how long were you asleep?"

"Harlow are you okay?"

"Are you gonna die soon?"

"If you do is it okay if your mom adopts me?"

"Shut the hell up!" I heard Lexy shout from the center of the crowd. "Harlow's perfectly fine, she's not gonna die, and no her mom is not gonna adopt you, so sorry to burst your bubble. Now leave her alone."

The crowd sluggishly parted and went back to what they were doing.

"Damn, I feel famous. Thanks." I slightly smiled.

"No problem babe." Lexy sighed. "I hate to see you all beaten up like this. Usually you're the one kicking ass."

I giggled, "Don't worry about it. I'll be better soon."

Just as I finished that sentence I saw Dyrek slowly walk out of the library with his hoody on and his hands buried in his pockets.

"Hey.." I said as I approached him. "You okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine." He said quickly and continued walking, not even bothering to look up.

"No you're not." I stopped him. "Obviously something's wrong."

He sighed before speaking. "I told my mom I wasn't gonna be who she wanted me to be anymore, and she kicked me out."

"Oh my god Dyrek, I'm so sorry. If you want you can s-"

"I'm crashing at Ashton's other apartment. At least by my self I can be who I want." he said before walking off, leaving me awkwardly standing in the middle of the hallway.

"Harlow, you okay?" Lexy said as she came up to me.

"Yeah. I'll talk to you about it later." I said when the bell for first period rang.

When lunch period came Lexy and I took a seat at our usual table when we saw something strange in the corner of the cafeteria.

3-4 large boys were huddled around someone, but I couldn't make out who it was, so Lexy and I went to go investigate.

That's when I realized that person crunching down getting kicked and spit on was Dyrek.

"Get up faggot! I dare you." One of the boys said.

"Are you pussy or something?" Another one spat.

I rushed over, "Hey!" I shouted before one of them turned around and I slapped him straight across the face.

"Get out of here before I leave my hand print on all of you pricks." I said before they all scurried off to their lunch table.

I then approached Dyrek who was still crouching down in the corner, Lexy right behind me.

"Oh my God, are you-"

"Just leave me alone." Dyrek cut me off and got up to go to the bathroom.

"...Did I do something wrong?" I asked Lexy as she slowly shook her head.

After school I marched straight to Dyrek's house to demand an explanation for earlier.

I knocked on the door, when his mom answered. "Hello Harlow, can I help you?"

"I need to see Derek." I said sternly.

"He's not here right now." Her voice trailed off and she looked at her feet.

"Oh really? Then who's footsteps do I hear upstairs because I don't see your husbands car in the drive way." I asked.

She rolled her eyes. "Alright you caught me. He's up in his room. I'm going to the grocery store so I'll be back in a few."

"Okay." I said rushing past her up the stairs.

"Mom I said I don't want to see-"

Dyrek paused once he saw me.

I folded my arms over my chest. "So what are you up to?" I asked.

"Packing, obviously." He shot at me.

I stepped into his room more. "Look Dyrek if you just talk this out with your mom I'm sure-"

"You don't get it Harlow." he cut me off. "I don't want your help this time. I can do it on my own."

"But I just-"

"No. You treat me like your son instead if your boyfriend and I don't like the feeling of being babied and having to be protected by my girlfriend all the time." he snapped.

"What the hell! That's not true." I said raising my voice a little.

"Yes it is, and you know it." he said stepping closer to me. "Today I didn't need you helping me with those boys, because I could've handled it my self."

"Dyrek you weren't even putting up a fight! I had to help you, I wasn't just gonna stand there and let them do that to you." I said.

"I'm trying to be strong by my self and you're not helping Harlow." he said continuing to pack.

"I think you're just putting your anger on me because of the fact that your mom doesn't want you." I snapped, realizing how bad what I said was.

"Well you know where I want you? Out. Get out my house Harlow." Dyrek said.

"As if it's your house anymore!" I shouted as I made my way down the stairs.

Once I closed the front door behind me I texted Lexy to meet me at the park, because this just couldn't wait.

"So he just kicked you out like that?" Lexy asked while munching a

corndog.

"Yeah." my voice trailed off. "He was really mad. I honestly think it was because of his mom, because she didn't even want me to see him when I went to his house."

"Well don't sweat it Har. Soon he'll come running right back. Everyone does." Lexy said with her mouth full.

I giggled. "And what's been up with you?

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about at lunch." she said as she finished up the remainder of her corndog.

"What's up?" I asked curiously.

"Well you know that guy I started dating after Dyrek went on vacation? Andrew?"

"Oh yeah, the one with the cute lip piercing." I smiled.

"Well..." she said looking to the ground. We had sex."

"Oh my God Lexy no way! I'm so happy for you." I said pulling her in for a right hug, only she didn't hug back. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"There was one thing." she said with a trembling voice.

"We didn't use a condom."

A/N- Picture of Andrew in the side!