Chapter Fourteen(v2)

Chapter Fourteen

Cedric sat on the couch in James’s room, looking out the window, his eyes trying to catch sight of Clyde. This morning Cedric caught sight of him, a sight that made his teeth clench and sigh sadly. Lance did not manage to slay the giant bounty hunter. Which meant Lance was probably dead. Cedric rested his forehead against the window, silently still. Had Lance really been killed? It seemed impossible that someone he shared so much fondness with no longer held life. Just like that, it was not a fact, then it was. He was dead. Of course, Lance could have escaped, or Clyde could have left without finishing the soldier. He could still be alive, somewhere.

Jack spent most of his time in James's bookshop, reading every book he could grab. James had lifted his ban from staying out of the bookshop (though once in a while James would mysteriously kick Jack out) once he saw how passionate Jack was, but Cedric still wasn't allowed in. Which didn't bother him too much-he couldn't read. So, he didn't see Jack too often these days.  

Lately Cedric was considering leaving Caroline, but he could tell Jack wouldn't want to, and despite their recent separation they were still partners. Cedric respected Jack's thoughts, and didn't mind staying since it looked like the soldiers only were brewing here, not catching his scent. So there was no hurry. In the meantime, however, Cedric was bored. There was nothing to do that wouldn't cause unnecessary attention.  

Cedric sighed, and looked around the small apartments. This was his jail now, Clyde his prison guard. It felt horrible, like being in the castle once again. His freedom had flown away. Cedric wondered what he was even doing here when he so clearly didn’t belong. This was James’s world, Jack’s world, and Cedric was only lost in it.

Cedric turned toward the door as it opened and Jack walked through, holding two flexible rods. He held one out to Cedric, which he reluctantly took. They sparred, but Cedric was only half-focused, anger clouding his thoughts. It was Jack’s fault he was locked up here. Jack and his stupid brother. His fault Cedric was alone, isolated from the rest of the world.

“Someone found your horse.” Jack stated.

Cedric blinked. That’s right. Sky had sprinted off in the forest that night Clyde attacked them. It was good to know that if Cedric wanted to leave, he had a mode of transportation.

“He’s staying at a farm nearby.”

“Is Clyde close to finding us?” Cedric asked, simply to make conversation.

Jack shrugged. “Who knows?”

Cedric got the impression Jack hadn’t been thinking very much about the man who hunted them. Bliss with James had rendered him oblivious.

“Maybe we should leave, before the solders get too close.” Cedric suggested hopefully.

“Nonsense.” Jack replied. “We’re safe here.”

Cedric let the conversation die, continuing to barely get his hand up in time to block, and miss easy lunges. Jack apparently became bored with Cedric’s lack of effort, and returned downstairs.

Cedric settled by the window once again, and let the world pass by. He thought about his nightmares, or rather, that one reoccurring one. It had been starting to affect his sleep, making nights long and fitful. Cedric wondered again how Emily was doing, then felt that inevitable twinge of guilt for leaving her behind. He shouldn’t have done that. But, despite his nightmares, they were only that, nightmares. It was possible Emily wasn’t being tortured on his behalf. But, then again, there was a chance that was exactly what was happening. Cedric wouldn’t be surprised either way.