Chapter 3

After about an hour of driving in an awed/awkward silence, your dad pulled to a stop at a dead end at the bottom of a hill. At the top of the hill was a single pine tree, and you could see something--shimmering?—on the other side. Your dad exhaled heavily and ran his fingers through his thinning hair.

"This is where you leave me, ______," he said.

"Wh-what?" you stuttered. You and your dad were super close; you had never known your mom, and he was your only relative left. He had raised you all by himself while juggling a demanding job and all of your, well, behavioral problems. You didn't love anyone else in the world as much as you loved your father.

"Over that hill is a place where you can be safe from those monsters. It's kind of like a summer camp, where you can train with people like you," he explained.

"People like me? You mean, people with dyslexia and ADD?" you questioned, not quite getting what he meant.

"No, ______. You're...special."

"What do you mean, 'special'?" you retorted, getting a little angry. You knew what "special" meant. It was never a good thing.

"'Special' as in 'you're not human', ______," Chris said.

"You're one to talk," you shot back.

"Hey, don't talk bad about my legs!" Chris yelped.

"Everyone just calm down—" your father started, but you interrupted him.

"Yeah, I'll calm down by getting away from you," you said angrily, getting out of the car and starting towards the hill with the pine tree. You didn't care that that was what your dad wanted you to do; it was pretty much the only place for you to go.

'What's wrong with me?' you thought as you walked. "Usually I can think when I'm mad like that. Ugh, I'll think about it later.'

Meanwhile, back at the car, Chris and your father were watching you walk away.

"You should...you should probably go after her," your dad said. Chris nodded.

"I'll be sure that she stays safe, Mr. (l/n)," he promised. You father nodded in appreciation.

"Thank you Chris."

As you passed by the side of the tree, you felt a shiver run down your spine. It wasn't cold outside at all; so what was it? You shook the thought out of your head and continued onward.

Soon, you got a good view of the "camp": there was a large cabin closest to you; a few large fields of strawberries, which made the hot air smell like heaven; and several smaller cabins in a large "U" around what looked to be a fire pit. There was also a pavilion with several large tables and another bonfire pit, but this one was larger. Right now, large gaggles of kids that looked around the ages of twelve to nineteen were heading towards the pavilion. Most of them had on bright orange t-shirts with some writing on them that you couldn't make out. Some of them turned their heads and talked excitedly to their friends, pointing towards you.

You acted like you didn't care and kept walking to the large cabin. When you got there, you walked inside.

"Hello, I'm here for what the heck are those?!"you yelped, seeing a man with eyes all over his body sitting at the front desk. 'I must be hallucinating," you told yourself. 'Wait, you killed two monsters today you idiot, of course you're not hallucinating!' "I, um, I'm _____ (l/n). I think my dad might've called you? He dropped me off on the other side of that hill and told me to walk over here," you explained, trying to look anywhere but the abundance of eyes all over his body. The guy smiled at you.

The man's several hundred eyes blinked at the same time and he made a strange grunting noise before standing up and walking out of the room.

You sighed and closed your eyes before following him, thinking about the events of the day. 'What kind of wackjob camp is this?'