Chapter 9

Guys, I wanna start out with an apology. It was a horrible mistake on my part to leave you guys hanging for...nine months?! Wow. I'm really sorry. Unfortunately, this will probably be the last update on this for a while, since I'm now a freshman and stuff's happening really quickly all around me, too quickly for me to sit down for hours at a time and research little details and make sure you guys get the best story out there.

I really appreciate each and every person who reads this book, and I'm so thankful that you've been so patient. Hopefully, you can forgive me and still enjoy the story. Thanks.

~Two weeks later~

Your name is _____ ______, and you are royally screwed.

There you were, just minding your own business and eating dinner next to Annabeth, who has become a close friend since you arrived at camp. You two were in the middle of talking about how awesome it would be to build a giant airship and just fly around without a care in the world. Even while listening to Annabeth enthusiastically describing the ballistae it would have, you weren't following her train of thought.

Yep, your thoughts were on that boy you had quite literally run into on your first day. You knew his name was...Nick? Right? Yeah. Nick. Anyways, the damn boy wouldn't get out of your head. You had been subconsciously analyzing his behaviors, trying to figure out his story, because, well, you were nosy like that. You liked a good challenge. And boy, was this guy a challenge! He wouldn't show up for days on end. You would smile and give a little wave when you passed him sometimes, but he would only briefly glance at you, and barely make eye contact. It was frustrating.

And, okay. Maaaybe you were just a tad obsessed with him. It wasn't your fault! It was his, for being so stupidly interesting, and cool, and...attractive...and, oh, every once in a while, he would be unaware of you watching him from across the training arena, and he'd get this...this look in his eyes. And a tiny smirk, so unnoticeable that if you weren't so good at reading people, you would never have noticed.

Okay now you were just being plain creepy.

That's what was running through your mind when Chiron walked up to the front of the dining pavilion and stomped his hooves forcefully against the ground.

"Campers!" he called. "You are all aware that Capture the Flag was cancelled for two weeks due to a serious magical anomaly in the humans' world."

Wait, what? No one had told you that! What if, what if...

"Anyways, Capture the Flag will be held tonight as a reschedule! You all know your teams; Cabins 3, 5, 6, and 7 against Cabins 9, 10, and 11. Other cabins, you know whom you side with. The games will be held in two hours. Best of luck to both teams!" Chiron announced. Raucous cheers exploded from the campers and they started quickly eating their food, eager to start getting ready for Capture the Flag.

You however, were petrified.

"Hey, _____, c'mon. Let's head back to the cabin," Annabeth said, breaking you out of your stupor. "Weve gotta get you ready for the games!"

You and Annabeth got up and ran to Cabin 6, where Annabeth propmtly started rummaging through her belongings. Honestly, it had been quite a shock to learn that the bunk above you had belonged to Annabeth. Everyone else in Athena's cabin had been too scared to share a bunk with her!

"Okay, so how exactly does it work?" you asked. Annabeth paused for a second, grabbing a set of light armor out of the small chest of her things.

"Well, there's two teams. Cabins 5, 6, 7, and 3--Ares, Athena, Apollo, and Poseidon--are on one team, while 9, 10, 11, and 13--Hephaestus, Aphrodite, Hermes, and Hades--make up the other. Most of the smaller cabins like Iris and Dionysus have alliances with the major cabins, so they'll be there too. Make sense?" she asked. You nodded, and she continued, "There are two flags, a blue and a red. We're the blue team, so you're looking for the red flag. Usually the Ares kids lead the advance, the Athena kids are on defense, Apollo kids are stealth and infiltration, and Percy's, uh...Percy's Percy. The goal is to capture the other team's flag without getting taken down."

"That's a lot of info to take in," you remarked. Annabeth smiled as she handed you the set of armor and a helmet with a blue plume.

"You'll be a natural. Now c'mon, let's go join with the others and talk strategy.

And, of course, that's how you got stuck patrolling the border of your team's territory. Alone.

You had met up with the rest of the blue team to draw up battle plans. The Ares cabin was going to charge straight towards the red team, while the Apollo cabin was to station themselves in the trees to pick off stragglers. The Athena kids would then sneak around the fighting and ambush the red team from behind their defenses as a distraction while someone took the flag back over the creek that served as a border.

Oh yeah, you forgot to mention: all the Athena kids, except you.

"You're not ready," Annabeth told you. "You'd end up really hurting someone. You're an amazing warrior, but don't you remember the penalty for death or maiming?" At this, you had rolled your eyes, and Annabeth chuckled. "Yeah, no dessert. For a week. Can you imagine?" You both descended into fits of laughter.

So you and Percy were guarding the creek. Of course, he wasn't nearby--all the way on the other side of the forest, actually. You were here, alone, with the dull glow of your blade the only real light and the possibility of monsters lurking in the dark woods.

As you were musing in your thoughts, you heard the swish of leaves behind you. You spun around, only to see...

Nothing.

It was just shadows.

But, if you looked a little closer, you could see a little outline. Longish, untrimmed hair, a puffy but worn jacket, dark jeans, a faintly green-glowing black sword...

You weren't alone.

CLIFFHANGER!! HAHAHAHA

Okay but in all seriousness, I apologize for it being so long between updates. I really hope I update the sooner int he future, haha. Guess I've just gotta sit down and make myself do it, eh?

Happy Halloween~!

*far off voice* it's not even October yet you idi--

I SAID HAPPY FREAKING HALLOWEEN. SCREW YOU SMARTASS VOICE. WHO EVEN ARE YOU.

So yeah.

See you next time!

Oh yeah, almost forgot! Fun Fact: the punishment for maiming and/or killing really is no dessert for a week. No joke.