Chapter 12

"The what?" you asked, confused. Who was this Oracle? Sure, you'd read about the Oracle of Delphi and their role in Greek mythology, but there was't possibly an oracle here.

...right?

"Before you're allowed to go on a quest, you need to have a prophecy from the Oracle," Annabeth explained. "For a long time, the last Oracle was cursed. A new Oracle couldn't be chosen until the last one's spirit had moved on, but the curse made it so she couldn't chose another Oracle. She sat up in the attic for years, and then--"

"And then we found Rachel!" Will beamed. "She's the new Oracle. I guess Nico went to go find her."

"Any idea where she'd be?" you asked, itching to get started on your journey.

"Uh, I think she'd be in the attic," Annabeth said. "Since she's not a demigod, she doesn't have a cabin, so that's where she lives."

"Okay! I'm gonna go find her!" you said, flashing both demigods a quick smile before dashing out the door and down the hallway. 

It was then that you realized you had no idea where you were going.

Suddenly, you heard a sort of rasping sound, like a person who smoked five packs of cigarettes a day trying to talk. You spun around in surprise, following the sound until you found a single tall staircase. There was a strange green light glowing down the staircase, and you left up the stairs.

You nudged the door aside when you reached the top, accidentally bumping into Nico, who was standing just in front of the doorway. He didn't budge, and you grabbed his shoulder to steady yourself. You wondered why he didn't jerk away, and then you saw it.

There was a girl standing in the middle of the room. Her curly red hair floated in frizzy ringlets around her round face, and her eyes glowed a bright green. Her figure was eerie and intimidating, and her mouth was slack and open as the gravelly voice rasped out:

Two shall travel to the realm below

Something dear, something detested

An ancient cure they must bestow

Lest the comrades' souls be ever rested.

The swirling green light that had gathered around the girl brightened as the verse spilled out of her mouth. Its intensity increased until you were forced to close your eyes, and then suddenly, the light was gone.

In its place sat a tall, slim girl, who looked to be a few years older than you. Her eyes were a brilliant green, with the same intensity as the mysterious light. Her face was dotted with freckles, and as she ran her hand through her curly red hair, her face scrunched up in frustration.

"Did that help at all?" she asked, looking at Nico. You were confused for a moment, until the girl's curious eyes landed on you. Then, she broke into a grin.

"Hey, you're the new girl, aren't you?" the girl addressed you. You stepped away from Nico and towards her. "I just got here a few days ago since my school went on break. Name's Rachel," she said, sticking out her hand. You shook it.

"_______ (L/N)," you introduced yourself, "daughter of Athena."

"Oh, so you're Annabeth's sister?" Rachel asked. You nodded, and she laughed. "That girl's a real piece of work," Rachel commented.

"Yeah, Percy told me about you," you said, then remembered why you were here. "Was that a prophecy you just said?"

Rachel looked to Nico. "Yeah. Nico doesn't usually ask for help with this stuff, and he usually just sets out on his own. So this must be a pretty dangerous mission."

"Yeah," you said. Suddenly, you heard footsteps coming up the stairs.

 "What's going on?" you heard a deep voice coming from the bottom of the stairs. When you peeked out the door and down the staircase, you saw the enormous form of Chiron at the bottom. You scratched the back of your neck nervously.

This was going to take a lot of explanation.

🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡🔱💀⚡

Needless to say, by the time you had explained the evening's events to Chiron, his face had taken on a grave expression.

"Basilisks, here in camp?" Chiron pondered. "Thalia's tree should've stopped them."

"Sir, if you don't mind," you interrupted gently. "I think that finding the cure for Percy is the biggest problem here."

"I daresay that you're right, Miss _____," Chiron responded, "but I do not think it is wise to allow such an unexperienced demigod to go on such a perilous mission. Perseus was one case; however, he had no choice in the matter." Chiron turned to Nico and Annabeth. "I believe it would be a good idea to send you two to retrieve the antidote."

"Yes sir," Annabeth replied. Nico only nodded.

"You should depart immediately. Percy's wound is grave; you'll have about a week at best. Go on, you're dismissed to assemble your supplies," Chiron said with a nod. Nico and Annabeth got up from their chairs in Chiron's office and left. Then, the centaur directed his piercing brown eyes upon you. "I'm sure Percy appreciates your effort, Miss ______," he said, face softening slightly. "Your battle with the basilisks could have been a great deal more catastrophic. You have my respect."

"Thank you, sir," you replied. Chiron dismissed you with a nod of his head, and you got up from your chair. You exited the Big House and left, walking towards the Athena cabin. When you walked inside, you saw great celebration inside your cabin. Judging by the large banner Malcolm held in his hands, you guessed that your team had won, even without the help of Annabeth, Will, Percy, and Nico. You also noticed that Annabeth, who had ended up sharing a bunk with you, was already gone.

You crossed over to your bed and grabbed a backpack out of your things. You stuffed a few shirts and another pair of jean shorts into it, and threw in the five golden drachmas you had won from Travis and Connor in a game of poker (They kept claiming you were cheating; you were just really good at reading poker faces). Surveying your bunk one last time, your eyes stilled as they saw the picture of your father you had pinned to the side of the bunk. You took it down and folded the faded picture in half, then stuck it inside your pocket for safekeeping. 

You stroked the bracelet around your wrist thoughtfully. Mom, you thought, if you're there, please guide me. With that, you stood up and slung the bag over your shoulder. You took a few steps towards the door, and felt a hand on your shoulder.

"Where ya going, ____?" Malcolm asked. You smiled softly at him.

"Dropped my dagger in the forest," you replied with a perfect straight face, "I'm gonna go find it. Don't worry if I don't come back before dark, I'll just hang out in the Zeus cabin for the night."

"Okay, just don't let the harpies gotcha," Malcolm grinned, poking your side and whooping as he turned back to his celebrating cabin mates. You looked over your half-siblings one last time; you'd actually grown quite fond of them. With any luck, you would be returning soon.

You stepped out of the cabin and into the night. By the time anyone realized you were missing and really looked for you--which you knew would be much later the next day, possibly even the day after, since you were so new--you would be long gone. 

...And so the adventure actually begins, haha. This chapter was about to be much longer, because I had planned it to cover much more. But it looks like you guys get an extra chapter~

This week's bonus fact: Rachel claims that she can paint with her feet. Who knew? :P

See you guys in next week's update!