Chapter 18

The three of you landed with a thud on a soft patch of grass in the middle of a park. 

"Oww," you groaned, rubbing your head with the heel of your palm. "I landed on my face."

"That explains a lot," Nico snorted.

"Oh shut up!"

Nico laughed, actually laughed, and you joined in. You cradled the cure in your hands. It was no bigger than your palm, shaped like a teardrop and sending rainbow refractions off to the sides of your hands. To think you had gone on such a quest for this little thing!

Then, you noticed Hazel, the girl Nico had brought with him, looking around. Her golden eyes were filled with wonder and confusion as she stared at the world around her, watching cars zoom past and people walking by texting on their cellphones. She walked over to Nico and whispered something in his ear.

"You'll get used to it," Nico said. "It took me a long time. I'm a lot older than I look." You cocked your head curiously, and Nico noticed, eyes brightening with mischief. "It's a long story. I'll tell you when we get back."

"When we get back," you repeated. "Right."

Suddenly, you saw something strange out of the corner of your eye. It was a wolf, glowing dangerously, but also...like it was familiar. Familiar not to you, however, but like that friend of a friend you've never met, but have heard of in stories. Nevertheless, the sight of the animal made the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.

Hazel's eyes locked with its stormy blue ones, and she turned back to you and Nico.

"I...I need to follow it," she said. Her voice sounded like caramel felt, soothing your ears. "I just feel it." You saw Nico glance from her, to the wolf, and back to Hazel. He quickly wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her tight.

"Be careful," he said, "and we'll meet again." Hazel nodded before running after the wolf. You watched her go, and turned to Nico.

"Nico, why did you bring her with us?" you asked, "I don't really understand." Nico stared after her, a tender look on his usually stony face.

"That girl is my little sister," he said, "another child of Hades." Your mouth fell open.

"How were you even able to get her out of Elysium?" you asked incredulously. 

"I don't know," Nico admitted, "but if it's why I think it is, there's serious trouble ahead. Someone needs to warn camp. If we hurry, we could make it back in three days."

For some reason, your eyes were drawn towards the man sitting a ways behind Nico on a bench, reading a newspaper. You squinted and read that the date was...five days?! 

"Nico," you said, trying to keep calm, "we don't have three days."

"What?"

"Look," you said, pointing at the paper. The man was too engrossed in his reading to notice. "It's been five days since we went to the Underworld. Time must flow faster or something." Nico groaned in frustration and ran his hands through his messy hair.

"Chiron said we'd have a week, at best!" Nico exclaimed, hands flying everywhere. "I can't shadow travel us back, it took too much to transport us and Hazel."

You were silent for a moment, weighing your options. Then, you shoved the cure into Nico's hands, watching his eyes widen in surprise. Before he could open his mouth to say anything, you cut him off.

"Take it," you said, your eyes steely with determination."Can you shadow travel back to camp by yourself?"

Nico stared at you for a moment, then spoke up. "Y-Yeah, I suppose."

"Then go," you said, drawing away from him now. "I'll catch up. Go on." 

"But--"

"No buts," you interrupted. "Percy's life is on the line here, Nico. We need him." Then, you moved your head along with Nico's retreating face to keep eye contact. "And I know you need him, too."

Nico immediately recoiled. "What?" he spat. Your features softened.

"Nico, I know you like Percy. And don't try to fool me, I know it's in that way.

Nico was silent.

"You shouldn't be afraid of yourself, or other people," you suggested softly, tentatively taking a step towards him. "I notice the way you recoil from people. You don't talk to them because you're scared they'll be afraid of you, or not trust you, or a million other stupid reasons." You looked at the ground and took a deep breath before continuing.

"I've also noticed the way you've become more comfortable around me. I want you to know that I'm not afraid of you, okay? That you can come to me." Then, you smiled as big and bright as you could.

"So don't worry about me, okay? Go save Wonderboy." You didn't have moment to react before Nico was stepping closer, before he was wrapping your arms around your shoulders and your arms wrapped around his waist. He held onto you tightly, burying his face into your shoulder. It was like he didn't want to let you go. Then, you heard his voice, whispering faintly in your ear, voice soft and shaky.

"Promettere. Promise me you'll come back safe."

You chuckled, eyes fluttering closed. "Can't say I won't be a little bruised and banged up."

"Promise."

"I promise," you whispered. You felt Nico lift his head up and for one moment, you felt the warmth of his lips on your forehead.

 Then, as the warmth arrived, you were felt a whoosh of air. You gasped in surprise as you opened your eyes to see no one in front of you. All that remained of Nico was a bit of warmth and the sound of his voice ringing in your ears.

You choked back a sob. You were alone now. How were you going to get back to camp? Get home?

You took a deep breath and started walking, adjusting your backpack.

"I promise."

...