Chapter 2

(l/n) = last name

Chris dragged you all the way back to your house where you lived alone with your dad. Speaking of which, your dad was sitting on the front porch like normal, waiting for you to come home. When he saw Chris and you running towards the house, he didn’t even acknowledge Chris’ goat legs; he simply turned to him with a worried look.

“Mr. (l/n), they found her. We need to get to the camp,” Chris huffed. Your dad nodded and ran inside.

“Dad? What’s happening?” you asked. You were completely and utterly confused; first, your best friend had goat legs, you had been attacked by a giant dog, and you had killed said gigantic dog with a freaking knife!

“Don’t worry sweetie, we’re gonna get you out of here and to somewhere safe,” your dad answered, searching around for something. “Catch,” he exclaimed, hurling a small backpack towards you. You caught it and slung it on your back. Your dad then grabbed his car keys and headed outside. You followed suit.

When you, your dad, and Chris were inside the car and you had calmed down, you rubbed your eyes. “Explanation, now,” you said tiredly. Your dad sighed.

“_____, remember when I told you about your mom?” he began.

“Yeah, you said that she had me and then left,” you said, a bit annoyed. “How does that fit into any of this?”

“Well, she…she wasn’t-“

CRASH!

Your dad never got to finish his sentence because oh my god what the HELL is that.

Next thing you knew, you were being attacked by what could only be described as a science experiment gone horrifically wrong. The creature had a face of a guy, the body of what looked like a lion, and the tail of a scorpion, complete with sharp claws, a wicked-looking stinger, and a seriously creepy smile.

You were stunned for a second until a thought echoed through your mind. Manticore. Somehow, you immediately knew what to do. Miraculously, that bracelet had managed to stay on your wrist—funny, you don’t remember putting it there. You unlocked the car and stepped out.

“Whoah, ______! What are you doing?! You’re gonna get yourself killed!” Chris yelled, jumping out of the back. Your father did the same.

Its fur is impenetrable,’ a woman’s voice said in your mind. ‘the only weak point is its mouth.’ So you did the only reasonable thing.

You threw a stick at it.

It looked kind of shocked, like, ‘you seriously thought a STICK would harm me in ANY way?’ But it didn’t look like that for long, because two seconds later you were up in its face, aiming your knife right at its eye. You stabbed it and it opened its mouth, roaring in pain. You smirked.

“Bad timing, buddy,” you remarked as you stuck the sparkling (and bloody) blade into the soft flesh of its maw. You jerked your hand out as it began to disintegrate into golden dust. Seriously, what was up with all the dust? Some people have allergies, you know.

Meanwhile, Chris and your father were staring at you open-mouthed. You smiled and waked back over to them.

“So, are we there yet?”