Chapter 1

____ = your name

You were on your way home from high school one day, like always. You and your dad lived in a rural house in upstate New York, so it took you about ten minutes to walk home from the bus stop. What could happen in ten minutes?

A. Freaking. Lot.

It all started when a large, black dog started following you. It made you nervous, but you just wrote it off as your ADD and concentrated on your music. Your friend Chris was always telling you to stop using technology, but when you asked him why, he could never come up with an answer. Chris was in your grade, freshman year to be exact. He walked with a limp and crutches, supposedly from a dirt bike incident earlier that year that got him out of gym, had sandy blonde hair and blue eyes, and loved sushi.

Chris was your only friend, and you were his only friend as well, so you were extremely protective of him. Even though the other kids made fun of you for having dyslexia and ADD, calling you names like "Twitchy" and "stupid", when someone made fun of Chris' limp they were going to have a butt-kicking from you.

Anyway, the dog. It followed you until you could see your house just above the hill you were walking on. Something made you want to run away from it, but the rational part of your brain told your instincts to calm down.

So when the dog suddenly grew five times its size, you were already running.

You ran harder than you ever had in your life with the dog chasing you. You began to formulate a plan in your mind, the only thing you could concentrate on. You grabbed a stick with a pointed tip while you ran. Suddenly, you stopped and turned around. You aimed the pointed tip for the dog's eye, and the dog's momentum carried it the rest of the way. With a sickening sound, the branch drove itself into its eye.

"_______!" TAKE THIS!" you heard someone shout. You turned around, taken aback by the sight of...Chris? Except it wasn't Chris. It was the top half of him, but his usually baggy jeans-clad legs looked like the legs of a goat. He was carrying what looked like a bracelet with a charm shaped like an owl, made of gold with a silver button in the middle. On instinct, you pressed the button.

You were shocked when the owl became a small, foot-long dagger with a blade that was eight inches long and made of a sparkling, transparent material. You turned back to the dog, which was recovering quickly. You ran up to it and stabbed it in the eye. The dog disintegrated into golden dust, and was blown away by the wind. You didn't realize it, but you were buzzed with adrenaline that went away with the dog.

"What WAS that?!" you yelled after you caught your breath.

"A hellhound, but it isn't important right now. First, we need to get you home," Chris said, grabbing your wrist and pulling you with him towards your house.

Hey guys! Welcome to the first chapter. I'm adding this A/N in about a year and a half or something after I published this to clear this up: yes, I meant ADD, not ADHD. People keep pointing it out. No, it's not a typo; ADD and ADHD are different things. Thanks for understanding, and I hope you enjoy the ride! :)