CHAPTER 35: DAY ONE

Start from the beginning

It was probably the drugs that made me forget.

I refused to called HQ and requested their assistance in helping me return, but I could not risk the MMO tracking my calls and recording them, eventually tracing them back to HQ.

And ever since the bombings had started, the cell phone towers have been out and regular phones are unable to work. C. H. E. S. S. had their own system of cell phone towers around their area alone, so we can contact each other if near the base.

Walkie talkies are used on missions outside of the city Headquarters is stationed at.

Once my legs felt like giving out, I collapsed onto the grass in a country side field, the animals no longer making any noise, or breathing at all.

I quickly made a fire using some sticks I picked up in the way that were actually dry enough to create some embers.

Rubbing the sticks together, I could embrace the joy of a bit of smoke coming from the sticks, and eventually a start fell onto the wanted posters I had crumpled up underneath the sticks.

I stayed up a few minutes longer, crumpling up wanted posters and throwing them into the fire. My stomach growled loudly at the sound of crackling fire and the though of food and something to drink.

I shook my head and smacked my lips, noticing how dry they are.

If I sleep, I can get up again and start moving. I won't even have to think about food or water.
I can survive 3 days at most without water, and if I have to drink toxicated water before I get to the warehouse, so be it.

Taking a few safety precautions, I slept using my bag as a pillow, and since that was all I had at the moment, I slept by the warmth of the fire, tossing and turning a bit from the pains of my stomach.

But sooner or later I drifted off to sleep. Utterly vulnerable.

——

??? POV

"We have been driving forEVER, man! Come on! Let's camp out and get some shuteye!" I complained, tiredly.

We had been driving for days looking for her, hoping to become fucking rich, but of course, no dice.

I had been looking out the window in the dark for 4 hours now, and we had already been driving all day.
I sure didn't want to fucking drive, and I know that the asshole in the driver's seat is tired.

"You can sleep, that's why you're the passenger, Matt. I'll keep driving and hopefully we'll find something. C. H. E. S. S.'ll kill us if we don't get our debt paid." Marcus said sternly.

"Just pull over, alright? It'll be for a few hours. We need our rest if we're going to look for the girl that escaped. She couldn't have gone that far." I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms in the process like a pouty child.

"Yeah, like she's going to come out when she sees a stereotypical van trying to sell her. I knew this was a bad idea." He said, clenching the steering wheel in anger.

"Calm down, dude, the job is pretty bad, but at least we can get a profit if the girls are pretty enou-." I said, taking a cigarette out of the box and holding it to my face.

"Hang on a sec. what's that light over there?" He said, leaning over and squinting his eyes over the dashboard. "Is that a fire?" He said, slightly slowing down. "Let's park the car here and investigate. It could be our girl."

"A'ight." I sighed.

Parking the car and getting out, we both headed out way towards what came into view was a campfire, and a woman that had just fallen asleep.

She looked tired from what I could tell, and was sleeping on her bookbag, with a bunch of balled paper around her.

"That ain't her." I muttered softly, not wanting to wake her.

"Yeah, but look over here dude." He muttered, opening up a piece of paper that was one of the many scattered around her. "She's not her. Only better."

WANTED: FRISK DREAMURR.
MISSING PRINCESS

REWARD: $1,000,000

"This'll bring us out by a landslide!" I called slightly louder than I should have. "But, are you sure it's her? She could be looking for her too. The picture of her is quite young."

"It says she went missing from them more than 10 years ago. Of course she's the one."

I grinned. Never had I need so excited for this catch in my life. "So she ain't apart of the system? We turn her into them as a whole?"

"I guess so." He said.

"Why does C. H. E. S. S. want her? Isn't she the royal blood of those Mo-" I began to refute, quickly denouncing the situation

"It doesn't matter. All that matters is we're going to be rich!"

"A'ight, pack her up." I said, turning towards the girl.

"I'm driving."