Possessive & Protective?

At the apartment, I layed on his bed and reread the letters, a relaxed smile on my face, seeing the familiar words and adoring my father's... his fatherly-ness. I wanted him with me so badly. I wanted to tell him everything. He'd know what I should do, he'd tell me what I'm doing is wrong, and he'd ask me questions and make me realize what I should do. But I just don't know what he'd ask, or what he'd tell me.

I'm not sure how long I layed there in his room, but he came in eventually and stopped to look at me. "I enjoy seeing you on my bed." He told me with nonchalance.

I flushed at him and smiled as he slipped off his shoes, dropping himself beside me on the bed, eyes still on mine.

"So," He said.

"So?"

"What do they say?" He meant the letters.

I shrugged. "That he'd be here soon, and that he loves me," I ended up smiling widely, looking at the letters with so much relief, so much love. I was so happy.

I wanted to hug my father, so I settled for throwing my arms around Charlie and he rolled over, having me pressed over him. "I'm so happy." I said with an embarrassed laugh.

He held me back, touching my hair. "I like seeing you happy." He told me deeply and I looked up at him, seeing something cross his mind and his eyes looked concerned for a second.

"What," I asked.

"James." He said back, a little grumpily.

"What about James?" I pressed boredly.

He narrowed his eyes at me, suspicion showing on his handsome face. "He asked you on a date."

It caught me by surprise. "He asked me to be a date, there's a difference." I said, sensing his possession and not taking it happily. "It doesn't mean anything."

"I think he likes you."

I flushed and he reached to touch my cheek, but I pushed his hand away and rolled off him, sitting up and looking at him. "You could never be as wrong as you are right now." I told him in amusement.

"It's not funny, Diana. I'm serious."

"So am I." I growled back, setting the mess of handwritten letters on the nightstand beside me.

"He looks at you a certain way."

"He's close with me, Charlie. He's been in my life for so long, James is just another brother. We've gone together as dates to things before, it never means anything." I could tell as I was speaking he got even more unconvinced, eyes darkening while I ended my statement. I was frustrated.

"I think he likes you." He repeated.

Now I was getting angry.

I stood up passively and headed to his living room with him following me. "Why are you walking away?" He asked in exhaustion.

"Because you're being an idiot."

I know I was getting him mad, but I was annoyed at the sudden jealousy that shown in his eyes. I knew for a fact James didn't see me as anything else but a friend. Not even, he saw me as a sister. "You want me to sit back while you go on a date with someone else who likes you?" He was laced with aggression.

"He doesn't like me," I said blandly. "And it's not a date." I stopped and turned to him. "Why am I explaining myself to you? This is stupid." I shook my head and kept walking, seeing his library was opened and entering, immediately starting on his books.

Truthfully, I had no reason to explain myself to this man. We were just friends after all. I owed him nothing, and I continued to tell myself that as he insisted to his mother we were friends yet looked at me as if I belonged to him.